• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
PeterGriffin

New 208 Gti

welshpug

You do realise a 205 was about £15k at the end if production?....

12 would have got you an xs most likely :P

I dont think 18k is too bad, have you seen what the rest on the market go for?

gavbrum

Interesting point you would rather go for the 19 speedlines than the 208 gti alloys and you also think they are ugly.

Nope. Not saying that at all. There are some decent looking speedlines.

Both sets of alloy options available for the 208 are ugly. The set pictured on the car in this post are by far the worst (look like a ninja throwing star). The other alloy option available for the 208 are slightly better but by no means good. If I was spending 20k on a new motor (in my dreams) i'd put on a set of alloys similar to the 208 r5 or the 205, which I think would look much better.

welshpug

a golf is £27k+, weighs 1400 kilos, and is "only" 220 bhp.

mind you, the outgoing 2.0 Clio was £20k...

ALEX

I wouldn't pay 15K for a new 205 even today :o

Golfs are way over priced, and it won't fall apart and plumet in value like a Peugeot.

Anyone who pay's the full sticker price on a car must be desperate or stupid.

Peugeot doesn't have the name behind it to justify 20K for a car in this range IMO sorry!

Not even the LTD editions.

welshpug

what has name got to do with it?

living in kookoo land if you think you can get decent new cars for that little, come on its nearly 2013 :lol:

top spec 205 was circa £6k in 84, £15 ten years on, for a comparable equivalent to only be £20k another 18 years on isn't too bad I think.

did some googling, a 205 gti went for roughly just over a years wages in 1984, as well as 1994, 208 gti is 3.5k under the 2010 average annual wage.

PeterGriffin

Money is not the issue but will they suit a 205 1.9 gti ?The original speedlines are iconic on the 19 and give it its unique identity dont want to lose that unless the 208 gti alloys look out of this world on it what do you think?

photoshop it mate

ALEX

The name has everything to do with it, Peugeot has been lost for some time now in the hot hatch scene.

Hoestly I'd sooner have a Kia than a new Peugeot now. And to pay 18K for one, I'd never hear the end of it from my mates at the pub!

B11 BOB
Bob have you had too much christmas ch(b)eer? I think youve missed the point completely. The wheels look ok. Thwy dont suit a 205. They were designed for a 208. They dont really suit that either. At the end of the day its your car do what you want and stop acting like your back is up against a wall.

First of all my back is not up against a wall so kindly refrain from making unnecessary comments and for the record I have not had to much Xmas beer.I think you have missed the point due to this being a forum of 205 owners I was merely asking for opinions on whether the 208 gti alloys would suit a 205.I personally think the 208 gti alloys are one of the best looking alloys I've seen in a while.Yes they are designed for the 208 gti not the 205.The only negative aspect of fitting them to a 205 is it may mess up the handling as pointed out by a member .Regards to whether they are to ugly etc that's a matter of personal preference also whether they suit a 205 or not.If someone can photoshop it and put up the pics on here it would be nice so we can collectively see the pros and cons of how they look.Ps I don't want this post to become a slanging match so if I have offended you in anyway Im apologising in advance.

B11 BOB
7x17 ET25, and £273 each.

Where from ?

ALEX

It is growing on me this car though! :wub:

If they release a cheap low budget spec GTI, I might be interested in this one.

I think they've got the size right this time.

I'll be interested in the road tests

allye

Where from ?

Peugeot I imagine, at a guess mind.

• Like 1

PeterGriffin

It is growing on me this car though! :wub:

If they release a cheap low budget spec GTI, I might be interested in this one.

I think they've got the size right this time.

I'll be interested in the road tests

I haven't found a single road test though, quite wierd when only 4 months from release...

Peugeot I imagine, at a guess mind.

The wheels aren't new for the GTI, so you could buy them tomorrow

309jazzpanda

I really liked the 208 when I saw the ads but seeing them in the flesh (not seen a gti obviously), I'm not a fan. New cars seem to be following a trend of having really high sides that look bare and bland but its the same as the c3 saw Loebs and thought ooo I like that, then when I saw the road car I thought too bland.

The latest z4 though in white oooosh

Oh and wheels I'm in the ugly camp sorry, even max power would turn their nose up

Edited by 309jazzpanda
  • Like 1

gavbrum

Each to their own of course. But in my opinion the alloys are pretty unsubtle and very unrefined. Very in your face and over the top like something from the fast and the furious.

• Like 1

wicked

Don't like the alloys as well, but that's only 20 bolts to get rid of them...

But I do like the 'badge':

598564_10151290932779883_1500000401_n.jp

And the seats:

68874_10151290933809883_684673943_n.jpg

Could match the 205 gti color scheme of a ph2 :wub:

Edited by wicked

Jemehan

It does appear that they have paid a little more attention to the popularity of the ol' 205 when designing these cars, i mean, come on! REAR QUATER BADGES ARE AWESOME! FACT! and good point with the seats Wicked. I know someone with one of these and had a good look over it, as stated, too tall look a little like a corsa D in that respect but not too bad all in all, looks bit odd parked next to a 205 though.

wicked

The high bonnet, in line with front window is not only a fashion thing. Car makers have to comply to safety regulations and the high bonnet is for pedestrian safety. In the eighties we didn't care about pedestrians....

The high doors follow from having a high bonnet.... low '205' doors would be very, very bad design in combination with a high bonnet.

Have a read on this: http://www.alueurope.eu/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/AAM-Design-6-Case-study-Bonnet-and-boot-lid.pdf

.. and accept there will be no 20x that looks like a 205 in the future....

Jemehan

Wow, THAT is a very in depth guide, yet very depressing, Car visuals can never go back to what they once were. so much science and maths goes into what happens when you hit someone, pleasant... such a shame for designers though :(

gavbrum

Seats are smart. Badge is cool. There are some little details that go back to the 205.

Cant wait for a test drive.

309jazzpanda

I imagine it will be fun, in a not much feedback way but regs or not they could make it a bit prettier, even just a bit of flare on the arch would break up the sides a bit.

They will always compare to the 205, remember it did save their asses

Edited by 309jazzpanda

PeterGriffin

I imagine it will be fun, in a not much feedback way but regs or not they could make it a bit prettier, even just a bit of flare on the arch would break up the sides a bit.

They will always compare to the 205, remember it did save their asses

Apparently the delay is down to finalising the Driver Feedback experience, since they got panned for little to no feedback on other 208s...

Maybe a "hairy arsed grease monkey" version with no PAS would be a hit... :D

johniban

I bet they are still using the crap EP engine, the 1.6 turbo thats used in DS3, 207 gti and the mini.

They have major problems that the manufacture wont admit or come up with a fix for them, their answer is to do aload of bulsh''t that doesn't do anything, then when that doesn't fix it replace the engine.

I know they are using them in the newer citroens that havn't come out yet and still havn't come up with a solution to the high oil consumption and the random boost cut

minimaniacwhyard

I work as a mechanic for peugeot and when they launced these they said that they had gone back to the 205 routes by shorter wheel base a better weight distrabution. I would like to gladley say after road testing sevral of these. They havnt got a thin on the 205. The diesel is the best one at the moment. Fun fact though the 1.2 engines cambelt runs in oil and is good for 120,000 miles. I doubt that somehow

johniban

Tom weve also got some engines coming in citroens with that engine that the cambelt runs in oil, made me chuckle!

Do you have any fixes for the 1.6 t bmw lump? ive herd that peugeot have blanking plugs they fit onto the rocker cover and inlet mani to stop the inlet sucking the oil vapour from the rocker cover.

minimaniacwhyard

to be honest with you. i have not heard of this problem on the bmw lumps. so i would assume that they have blanking plugs on. we just get issues with the timing on them specially the turboed ones