• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
AlexRS2782

Oil Sump - Oe Or Pattern

AlexRS2782

Been out to the car today and noticed that the car has developed a slight slight leak from the oil sump plug. Not really a major problem as it was due an oil change & new plug early next year so would be being replaced then anyway.

What i have noticed however is that the underside of the sump appears to have gained a fair amount of corrosion, which i'm not surprised considering it's probably the original one, so it's spurred me on to get that sorted at the same time as the oil change.

What would be the best brand to get. Are these still available new / o.e from Peugeot, and are they any good, or alternatively has anyone had any experience of any decent o.e spec sumps, with regards to quality, fit, etc?

I would be tempted to remove the one currently fitted and see if it can be cleaned, treated, painted, etc, but being that i'm still using the car regularly i'd be dropping it at my mates garage so it would be easier / quicker for him to just fit a new one.

Also while the sump is off are there any other things worth doing? I was thinking maybe get the oil pump checked/cleaned and also check/replace the spring (if it looks worn) at the same time?

Many Thanks

AlexRS2782

Any advice on this one as looking to get it sorted early January and dont want to end up buying a crappy part if i dont have to :)

Is it worth maybe just treating & repainting the original sump so that i retain the original item and then just use a new gasket/seal?

Edited by AlexRS2782

Miles

You could always stick a Alloy one on, To my knowledge only Pug make the sumps if you can still get them for the 1.9

billybluesky

A cheap effective way could be to get someone t weld a patch over the corroded area i recon you could get a good job done using tig or even gas as opposed to mig

farmer

one oil sump left in Belgium thats what Pug has left

Edited by pug_ham
offering items for sale outside correct forum section.

AlexRS2782

Forgot about this.

Thankfully i was able to get the car up in the air over Christmas and overall it looks like i'll be able to get away with just tidying up the current sump rather than the expense of a new one :)

As the car's going on SORN for the month of Feburary while the brake pipes are replaced and a few other jobs are being done, so it will give me a chance to get it off & tidy it up and then refit it with a new gasket for a decent seal :)

Decided that while it's off the car i may as well get the pump checked and cleaned, etc, as well.

Edit - Blimey only one left in the network - i'm surprised there's still one floating around out there but i bet that must be worth a fair bit now.

Edited by AlexRS2782

Baz

Maybe new temp sensor at the same time? :)

farmer

Edit - Blimey only one left in the network - i'm surprised there's still one floating around out there but i bet that must be worth a fair bit now.

I got mine of a Citroen dealer in High Wycombe it cost me £30 plus post (fitted a ZX to i think)

The one in Belgium would be 50% of retail if on the shelf

Edited by farmer

AlexRS2782

Good call on the temp sensor - will get that added to the list :)

farmer

Good call on the temp sensor - will get that added to the list :)

If you want a genuine switch i think Truscotts of Exeter have one they did have one few months back there NFP i think

Baz

They've been NFP for an age, i have some though.

farmer

They've been NFP for an age, i have some though.

Spot on saves a phone call if anybody wants a gen item

djs1972

one oil sump left in Belgium thats what Pug has left

Hi farmer i too need to look at replacing the sump on my 1991 J reg 1.9 GTI do you know how i could go about contacting the stockist in Belgium?

farmer

It's gone now.

What's the part number you need to search again?

AlexRS2782

I was about to say, it's about a year since that post so I'd imagine it's definitely gone by now :hehe:

farmer

Just noticed that too.

Be others i would think.

Miles

Use a alloy one, XU7 and XU10's from 306 & 406 to name a few all use them