• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jeremy

Anti Pollution Fault On Diesel 307

jeremy

Hi my wife has a 307 diesel with above fault and the engine management light on. The car is a 2005 110bhp version. Just to add that when the engine is running and revved but not moving without the clutch engaged there is a distinct smell of fumes from the engine bay/through the heating vents, however both the garage and I cannot see where from. Also just to add there is very little back pressure from the exhaust on tick over, and the garage said they could only smell clutch related smells and reset the fault only for it to come back on 2 miles down the road. So can anyone explain how the exhaust system works with regards to the anti pollution fault, so that I can try and sort this out myself.

welshpug

Does it have dpf?

jeremy

No idea, but can check with Peugeot.

Miles

I think the 110's do along with Dual mass, that's how the 406's are anyway

ORB

Yes. 110's deffo have DPF and indeed Dual Mass.

welshpug

Not all 110's have dpf, sisters c5 doesnt, and the xsara has solid flywheel.

ORB

To be fair WP, they are both Citroens. In my experience (valuing cars rather than working on them) on a 307 110 you always look for Dual mass failiure and FAP issues.

Yet same engine on a 406 rarely had DPF

Weird

Richie

I had that anti pollution fault on mine, was really annoying. I had to drop it into Peugeot.

pugdamo

If it has DPF there is a pressure sensor on the DPF,there are 2 rubber pipes that come off the dpf to a sensor on the bulkhead,had loads of them that the rubber pipe melts and bursts normally due to blockage in the cat,i replace the sensor,then do a forced regeneration on the cat and then normally all is good

ablister

as above, the exhaust differential pressure sensor is a likely culprit. They often gets moisture in it and faults, never seen one with a melted rubber pipe though? The sensor is behind the battery tray. More than likely this is what your problem is but best to get it checked out properly.

vern

I speak from experience with these cars as I had 2001 110Bhp Dturbo, to get a definate answer on if a dual mass flywheel is fitted, you need to speak to peugeot and get them to check your chassis number, for info mine did not, that is also the same if you have a DPF.

The DPF works, by collecting the soot out of the exhaust in the DPF (bit like a petrol cat, same size and location), when the engine gets up to temp and you drive at a constant speed over 50mph for 5 mins, the engine managment "white mans magic" raises the exhaust temp, this burns the soot up in the DPF and allows it to go out of the exhaust. To get this temp raise, an additive is automaticly added from a small tank under the car (DPF fluid is also called Eloys), every time you fill the tank up, the ECU automaticly adds a shot of fluid to the tank. This is the process that is called regeneration, and happens as above or can be manually intiatd from some fault code readers, and definately from the Lexia3/ PP2000.

As for the anti polloution fault, it could be anyone of several things, as mentioned the DPF differential sensor, fuel filler cap sensor, out of DPF fluid, problem with DPF fluid solenoid, blocked DPF, the list goes on. It can get expensive if it needs fluid approx £100 for 4lt, the actual DPF is about £5-600 for a peugeot refurbed one!, but the DPF can be cleaned search on the net for a guide. they both last approx 80 -100K miles dependant on driving style.

The best thing to do is get the codes read, if you intend to keep the car buy the Lexia3/ PP2000 fault code reader (about £80 -100 off ebay) as it will save you a fortune if you have to pay someone to clear faults, it is also uses genuine peugeot software so pretty much tells you what is wrong, there its lots of info on the net about decoding the codes, so make a note of the actual fault codes before clearing them.

in the end I got rid of my car as the fault light was always coming on, my advice would be to get the faults cleared and car running correctly then sell it quick, the 307 can be a right pain when they start to go wrong, and they do go wrong, just see how many results you get if you search "Peugeot 307 problems"!

Edit

If you do town driving, the DPF will not regenerate so the DPF will clog, so givethe car a good thrashing, then a good 20 min blast down the motorway it will allow the DPF to regenerate and unblock the DPF.

Edited by vern

jeremy

Brilliant explanation. What happens if you just continue driving ignoring the problem? Does it become an MOT failure?

welshpug

The DPF blocks up and you lose power,

pugdamo

I would definitely check those pipes because your saying you can smell fumes in the engine bay,this would happen if that pipe had burst because exhaust gas would be leaking into the engine bay,but make sure you check every inch of it,as already said it is up by the battery tray.

You can check the faults on any EOBD reader so if you did buy yourself Lexia or pp2000 your limiting yourself to the PSA range

vern

Yes any reader can read the codes, but to do a manual regeneration you will need the Lexia3, as not even the snap on readers can do that (well not the one the garage had, that I used).

You can also sell the Lexia 3 after you have sold the car, this is what I did and in total it cost me £30, which is what most garges charge to read the codes just once, and you will need at least a couple of reads to clear any problems

The pipes and sensor Pugdamo mentioned, to get to them, you have to take the battery out and there is an access panel to remove, this is where the sensor is located and the pipes go from there down to the DPF.

As for driving with the fault, I belieive it is now an MOT failure if it has a warning light up??. I would get the codes read, and find out what is wrong, then start clearing them, cost of the sensors is quite cheap, if you can fit them yourself. The only expensive part is the DPF itself, but these can be taken off and cleaned using a pressure washer, there are several guides on the net for doing this.

Edited by vern

johniban

anti pollution fault on the screen isnt just the dpf, it could be any number of engine problems, get alot of newer cars come in with anti pollution fault on screen, as said if you do alot of town driving it will clog up. and thrashing it as most people tell you wont clean it out, as said above you need to drive at a constant speed and it may kick in and regen itself, some cars it comes up on the screen some dont, cant remeber on yours. is your the older 307 or the newer one? usually tell by where the diag plug is,

best thing todo is stop all the guessing and take it to a dealer.

as for the dual mass, you will know if you have one fitted they drive diffrently, when you pull away ect

johniban

The sensor mentioned, deferential pressure sensor, is a very common part to be replaced, you could take your off and tap it on a tissue to see if it has water in it as most do and short them out.

but rather than replace something that may be fine, id get it on 'Diagbox' to see whats wrong with it.

As for cleaning out the dpf filter with a jet wash, theres loads of people over the internet that think this is possible, but really it isnt, its been tried and tested but it doesnt work, you can measure the soot level with diag box, clean it out with a jet wash measure it again, the soot level doesnt change.

only way to clean it is with the special acid stuff they use when reconing them

• Like 1