• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Carbs4me

S16 Gearbox To Suit Pull Type Clutch, How To?

Carbs4me

Hello All,

Im about to "Attempt" to change my BE1 Arm lever fork for my S16 setup to suit my 1989 205.

I had a quick look at both of my gearboxes last night, i dont understand how it fits to my S16 box. I will upload some pictures tonight when ive had another gander as such.

Basicly My BE1 gearbox has a rectangle opening in the side of the gearbox covered by 2 plastic caps gromets.. etc.

The S16 box seems to be diffrent with slated openings.

Is there a walk though on the forum anywhere for this? ive searched but cant find anything but not sure if im searching the correct "term"

Im looking at making a start on this tonight, and need some direction.

Cheers,

Anthony

welshpug

You can't fit the be1 push clutch 205 arrangement to the be3 gearbox which is a pull type, you need a be3 tye reaease bearung and the push type clutch shaft+arm, and a later be3 clutch cable

Carbs4me

So what your telling me is my what i believe is a BE1 (1600 reverse next to first) wont fit the S16 box i have :(

Is there a place where i can source these parts from as new?

Cheers,

Anthony

welshpug

yes, I thought that would be rather obvious from the lack of hole in the front of the bellhousing ;) and that nobody on the forum has ever said it would fit.

either a pug or citroen dealer, or the parts for sale/wanted forum for the clutch shaft and arm, and your local motorfactor for the release bearing.

Neat auto's also have the clutch shaft+arm as a kit on ebay, you need the PUSH type not PULL.

Anthony

Or just leave the S16 'box with the original clutch arm/fork and run a matching S16/GTi-6 pull type clutch.

Been done a fair few times now and works well, just a bit of faffing with the clutch cable really. A search will reveal more I'm sure, but it's certainly an alternative to going down the more usual route of converting the gearbox to a push type clutch operation and running an 1.9 Mi16 clutch.

Carbs4me

i dont even think my S16 box has an arm fork/lever or what ever it is! where i presumed it was it isnt, and the clutch cable catch is attached to the box just no arm set out of it.

But! i will upload the pictures tonite before flapping about and get some pictures of my progress with the car, this is pretty much the last job before im gunna lift the engine in.

welshpug

Which engine are you running ? Sounds like you have a BE1 box fitted already to an 8 valver?

Carbs4me

Yeah thats right its fitted to a 1.9 8v currently and got myself a Mi16 engine that ive slowly rebuilt over the last year. Edit - which will be mated to the S16 box

Edited by Carbs4me

pug_ham

You can't fit the be1 push clutch 205 arrangement to the be3 gearbox which is a pull type, you need a be3 tye reaease bearung and the push type clutch shaft+arm, and a later be3 clutch cable

Actually, yes you can.

The 205 GTI I got last year had a Be3 1.9 gearbox fitted when I bought it but whoever fitted it had converted it to use the Be1 cable & clutch fork etc, god knows why but it can be done.

g

Anthony

Later BE3 castings don't have the hole in the side that the BE1 clutch arm/fork goes through, and that sounds like the issue in this particular case on the S16 'box.

welshpug

yeah, I have one of the earliest S16 boxes out there, mid 1992, no hole :)

Carbs4me

Here is the pictures of the gearbox

8248668430_97f541fdd4.jpg

8247600885_65a6e56a26.jpg

this is the gearbox BE1 gearbox

8247601029_c2b0b22e57.jpg

welshpug

Hmm, got the code off the box? Looks different to my s16 boxes

Carbs4me

I will have to look into that tomorrow!

My garage is a 15min walk from here :(

Miles

That is a S16/Mi16 box, I would say around 1994 as that's when they had holes in the front.

But you need the cross shaft without a doubt

Carbs4me

Where can i buy these cross shafts from?

Carbs4me

Also...

I was wondering if this has something to do with the BE1 box (the shaft that goes from the gearstick) If it is i guess i wont need that anymore? i cant remember if my last 205 with a BE3 gearbox had one but if memory serves me right it didnt or i just cant remember it.

8247601451_61096e53d6.jpg

Anthony

You won't need the reverse lockout cable anymore, but you'll need the gear linkages.

Neat Autos do the clutch arm, fork and bushes for a reasonable price, as per Welshpug's reply further up the page.

Carbs4me

On their site there is nothing, infact they dont even have prices on their products everything is listed as £0.00 and ebay i cant find them even did a find member search as "neatautos" and "neatauto" and my search was clutch arm very few things came back apart from miles reconditioned S16 box he has listed on there.

Oh regarding the linkages i got a full set from Baker BM

Anthony

Hmmm, just checked on their eBay site and they don't appear to be listing the BE push type kit any more, only the BE pull type kit and one for an MA box. Odd, as they were up until very recently! It's "neatcarparts" on eBay btw.