• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
swinisskill

205 Turbo Starts On Three...

swinisskill

Ever since I bought the 205 (XU10J2TE converted) its started on 3 cylinders for the first 15 or so seconds and then it runs fine, hence why I havent really bothered about it. But I would like to know why its doing it? Does anyone have this issue or know anything about it?

dcc

is injector leaking into bore until it clears? used to have this on a 405 mi16 I bought. new injectors sorted.

welshpug

Most likely to be the headgasket, an ignition fault tends to affect stuff more when warm, and also to a pair of cylinders due to the wasted spark arrangement.

carlh.1

What makes you think its the head gasket welsh?

Mine does exactly the same when its been sat for a while then as matt says less then a minute later it fires on four and drives like a train never getting hot after a heavy footed drive.

welshpug

Done half a dozen gti6's over the past 18 months and they al had this symptom, never ran hot till they got really bad and blew all the coolant out.

carlh.1

Blowing the coolant out rings a bell from a track day a while back, thats a ba%ta*d its not been used that much since i re did it with a cosmetic multi layer metal gasket the head must be out of shape then its number 1 next to water pump that missis on mine!

welshpug

That's number 4, but yeah that's the usual one to go on these iron block engines.

carlh.1

no mines an ally block xu9 turbo, do the ally blocks ever worpe or mainly just the heads, the last compresion test i did all for cylinders where the same give or take a few psi, or does this sometimes not tell the full story?

swinisskill

It has had the h/g done before I purchased it, I have no reason to doubt its not been done it even has new head bolts in, could of made a bad job of it I suppose? There is white mayo under the oil filler cap but I thought was this due to me not taking it out properly in a while, just been to work and back which is 6 mile a time

swinisskill

Thought I would try changing the injectors, fitted redtop ones as an upgrade but now it seems to run on three for a bit longer ..

welshpug

why did you think throwing more/less fuel in would help?

swinisskill

Well someone suggested an injector could be leaking and I wanted to upgrade them anyway so I bought the redtops. Obviously that rules the injectors out now

Tom Fenton

Is it using coolant?

Anthony

Does it use coolant and/or pressurise the cooling system?

Certainly evidence of either of these combined with starting on 3 cylinders would suggest something headgasket related as Mei suggests.

What happens is that water seeps into the cylinder when the engine is off for an extended period, and then when you start, it doesn't fire properly on that cylinder until the water has all been ejected and the plug clears. Usually compression test results won't show anything and, for a period of time, typically you'll see no other HG symptoms and it'll run fine once warm.

The fact that it's had a recent HG change before you bought it suggests even more that it's in some way HG related, either that it wasn't done properly or that there's another issue such a cracked head that was mis-diagnosed as a HG failure.

luke1987

Has it been remapped to suit the bigger injectors? If not your just going to make more problems for yourself.

• Like 1

swinisskill

It hasnt used coolant only time iv touched it is to put new antifreeze in but it has been checked in the 3/4 months iv had it and it has never noticeably dropped.

Injectors- no it hasnt been remapped but I was told as long as the boost is up it wont cause problems, can quite easily swap back to standard ones if people are saying its not a good idea? My intention is to get it mapped but just been forced in to a lower paid job so cannot afford the ecu for a while now, obviously I can put them back in before it goes for remapping

swinisskill

Checked coolant this morning and it had dropped , the coolant system is still holding pressure though

ORB

Sounds HG to me

swinisskill

Just bought a compression tester :(

jonnyturbo

hope you get the results you want fella. ;)

swinisskill

55 psi across all four cylinders :s

swinisskill

My bad, didnt warm the engine up first, compression okay across the cylinders

DamirGTI

Do a combustion leak test with an block tester .. that'll be more precise diagnose if it's small crack or something which compression gauge can't pinpoint .

Damir B)

swinisskill

will try that mate thanks

kyepan

At least you'll know what it is soon.