• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Beaniemoo

1.6 Cti Running Issue

Beaniemoo

Hi there,

This is my first time posting on this forum.

I've got an F reg 205 Cti, completely standard but it has a bit of an intermittent running issue which is really starting to bug me, but its a bit early for me so I was wondering if you guys had any experience or advise reguarding this fault?

Basically it starts first time, everytime and idles beautifully.

Its just when driving it seems to stutter and misfire on half to 3/4 throttle, juddering quite badly and not accellerating.

If I put my foot to the floor it always pulls very nicely and cleanly.

It does this whether the engine is hot or cold, or if the outside temperature is hot or cold.

I've tried loading the engine up to see if its an electrical misfire (eg coil), but even if you accelerate at low speed in a high gear, it still pulls very cleanly if you fully depress the throttle.

I have put a full set of plug leads on the car as the king lead was shorting out (causing other issues lol)

It's also had a new fuel filter (as it looks ancient)

I have taken a fuel sample to see if there were any bits contamination but all is ok.

Was wondering if anyone could help with this?

If anyone needs anymore information I can go do some tests etc

Cheers in advance

ORB

Manifold air leak?

Slipped tooth on cam belt?

Beaniemoo

Oh yeah I never thought of timing really, as its not all the time, but I guess its free to check, and to be honest I've got no idea when the timing belt was last changed.

Where do you lock the crank and cam on one of these?

I've checked for air leaks and all appears to be ok

Beaniemoo

Where is this amp an how woul I go about testing it?

stufarri

I'd say from this happening on my 1.9 that it was the ignition amp too.

It is screwed to the strut top on either the drivers or passenser side (diffenent sides on my phase 1 and 2 cars) and has a heat dissipating paste on the back of it the you need to replace too.

They are about £35 I think.

Can you borrow one from someone local to you save you shelling out, just in case this is not the issue?

ALEX

Looks like a previous owner on my F plate CTI had a timing issue aswel.

I've figured out why he's elongated the distributor mounting slots to try and fix it.

The rotor arm locating tooth had broken off!

Worth checking that the rotor arm doesn't spin freely with the cap off.

Beaniemoo

Cheers for all the replies!

I put a cap and rotor arm on the car when I put leads on it (sorry I forgot to mention) and the arm is secure on the distributed shaft.

I also tried to check the ignition timing but couldn't find the timing marks, it does advance as you build the revs so vacuum advance seems to be working.

Just been out and found the ignition amp. It's hiding under the coil on the n/s inner wing

36A787EE-482D-48DC-849C-860FE7EBAA20-4848-000004415330AACC.jpg

Does that sound like a likely candidate then? I've just replaced one on my 106 xsi I'm restoring as it was only running on 2 cylinders

stufarri

I had similar running issues and this was the culprit.

See if someone can swap before you buy one though just in case.

Edited by stufarri

Beaniemoo

Hi there,

Back again.

I have tried a new spark amplifier, but unfortunately it has not fixed the problem.

Asl while I was under the bonnet I checked the injector spray pattern and all seems ok with no dripping or anything.

Does anyone have any experience of this fault?

Running low on things it can be now?

Keep thinking throttle position but have nothing to back this theory up

Weser

Well the way i look at it is you have ruled out fuel and ignition so I would start to look at airflow.

Make sure the AFM is working correctly.

All the pipes are clear and the air filter is good.

Has the car been stood for a while?

Can you put it on a gas analyser to see what its running at. If its overfueling it could be getting bogged down at 1/2 and 3/4 throttle but when you open it up it will have more air to equal the fueling?

Just my thoughts

MikeC

How are you earths?

Beaniemoo

I have cleaned up the earths and I've tried a different air flow meter but its still the same : (

Beaniemoo

Right I'm going to stick it on a gas analyser tonight, does anyone know what values am I looking for please?

Cheers

Weser

I dont know the values off the top of my head I use a vehicle data book. However I think co content is around 1-1.5 and hydrocarbons (is it?) is around 13. Think that what i set my 1.6 cti up at and it seems to run nice.

Have you checked afm values think there is an article somewhere on it. Also make sure it is a 1.6 one?

Beaniemoo

How would I check the Afm values?

Are there any makings or part numbers to denote 1.6/1.9 Afm?

I'll post up the figures I get as soon as I get them

Weser

Not sure about the 1.6/1.9 AFM numbers maybe someone else can shed some light.

I seem to remember reading an article about retracking the AFM and some other stuff but can't find it now.

The forum search function is very useful and may shed some light on your issues?

Get it on the analyser and post the results someone then might beable to tell you if that is where the problems are.

Beaniemoo

The values!

Looks like its running very rich!

8A7EF2AF-0A90-4001-99EA-A78742A96B72-137

Beaniemoo

Anybody got any idea on why my car is running very rich?

DamirGTI

Do you have a lambda sensor on your CTi ?

AFM would be good to look out , open up the black plastic covet and take a good look on the black potentiometer track - if you see white areas , white pinholes , severe scratched overlay that'll be a bad one ..

ECU temp. sensor also ..

Air leaks , vacuum leaks (as particularly if you have an lambda sensor controlled management ..) ..

Leaky injectors ..

Ignition problems (various .. not firing the mixture properly ..) as the camshaft timing as well ..

Valve clearances (if they're pre-set uneven or way out the specs ...)

Internal mechanical problems ..

Damir B)