• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gti_bob

Newbie - 1990 1.6 Ongoing Project.

gti_bob

Hello all.

Im John. Im new here and I joined for help and advice on my project 205 but also to show what Im doing, how far I have got and to get peoples advice and opinion.

My story so far...

I started with a white 1.9 gti around 10 years ago that I got from a friend for £30. The head gasket had gone and he wanted rid of it so I took it on as a project. It sat around for ages as I grew a collection of parts and thaught up big plans but unfortunatly it never really got off the ground. Last year I decided to clear out and got rid of the car but regretted it straight away. A few months later and after one post pub late night Ebay session I was the proud owner if a 1990 graphite grey G reg 1.6.

The car was cheap, had tax and test, was local and looked tidy so I grabbed a friend and collected it. The drive back was great with my mate at the wheel as hes only ever driven new cars so the little GTI was quite a surprise to him.

The car was parked up for around 6 months as, due to medical problems, I can't currently drive so the tax and test ran out. As time ticked by I relised that I would be back on the road in January so decided to get the MOT done and get a fail so I had something to work towards. It came back with a fail on rubbers and gaitors but nothing major so one saturday morning I got up, went to my lock up and made a start.

What started as a simple MOT fix has turned a bit more indepth but I know the end result will be worth it.

I have pictures to follow and will be updating at my project progresses.

Thanks.

sensualt101

welcome to the forum and i look forward to seeing pics of your car and progress made :)

• Like 1

Dickie

Welcome to the forum. Need any help or advise just ask. Be good to see some pics when you get a chance to upload them.

• Like 1

gti_bob

Thanks for the replys. Im not sure how to post pics on here but I have opened a photobucket account with the pictures so far. Can I link that? I took most of the pictures after I started the repairs as I only intended to do MOT work but I think there a good start.

Dickie

Yes Photobucket works fine. Just copy and paste the IMG code into the text.

gti_bob

Cool, thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try.

gti_bob
IMG-20121128-WA0001.jpg

gti_bob

IMG-20121128-WA0002.jpg

20121129_164130.jpg

gti_bob

IMG-20121128-WA0003.jpg

20121127_175854.jpg

20121129_164222.jpg

pugdamo

I dont know about anyone else but i want to see the shiney bits :)

Good work and keep those updates coming

gti_bob
20121118_133134.jpg

gti_bob

IMG-20121128-WA0004.jpg

20121129_164140.jpg

gti_bob

Theres a few pics of the underside after I cleaned, treated, primed and painted it. No major rust thankfully and it looks much better now and should be protected for a few more years. While the axle was off I decided to check it over and it needed repair due to the bearings going kaput.

20121123_153803.jpg

20121123_153914.jpg

• Like 1

gti_bob

20121123_153914.jpg

New shaft on and ready to be cleaned up and primed.

gti_bob

IMG-20121128-WA0005.jpg

Arms in 1st coat of etch primer waiting to dry. 2 more coats then a top coat.

gti_bob

20121129_182851.jpg

1st box arrived after another latenight ebay session.

gti_bob

20121129_191142.jpg

Hows this for shiney bits? I read on here that Bilstein was the way to go so took the advice. Be rude to throw the scabby old shocks on when its all clean and freshly painted.

• Like 1

gti_bob

20121129_182839.jpg

These also turned up just after the shocks arrived. Not sure the postmans a fan of mine. I have a set of 1.9 wheels left from the old gti that will be refurbed and fitted to the car. Also have an S16 engine and loom from the same car but not sure if I' best sticking to the standar set up. Whats peoples opinion?

Atari Boy

Welcome to the forum.

A good 1.6 engine can be hard to beat so the grass is not always greener. If its a good engine, keep it.

gti_bob

Welcome to the forum.

A good 1.6 engine can be hard to beat so the grass is not always greener. If its a good engine, keep it.

Thanks for the advice. Mine runs sweet but its coming out for a freshen up of the engine bay so I'll give it a clean, service and check over while its on the floor. I won a 1.9 engine on ebay a few weeks ago that I have to arrange collection of. I like the idea of the stock engine staying with the car so the 1.9 can be a back up if I fancy a change or get bored one weekend. Will be working on the car again tomorrow hopefully now more rear beam parts arrived so more pics will be on soon. Many thanks for the kind comments.

gti_bob

Well had a few more bits arrive today so can start rebuilding the rear beam tomorrow. I did venture down yesterday and fitted the new bearings into the tube but due to no gas for the heater I didnt stay too long. Heres a few of the new bits that are waiting to be fitted.

20121204_140922.jpg

20121203_160756.jpg

gti_bob

20121203_160900.jpg

Only after they were ordered and delivered did I realise there was a discount for members on certain websites. Can I get peoples advice please on the bits I have, are they ok?

gti_bob

First 2 wheels stripped ready for refurb.

20121203_160812.jpg

gti_bob

Slightly off topic but got bored at work so built my mate a burner for his garden from an old gas bottle.

20121127_115146.jpg

gti_bob

Heres 2 pics of the car I just found.

205gti.jpg

mygti.jpg