• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mr_Frosty

How Does Yours Go?

Mr_Frosty

Hello,

Well this is my first post on here just wanted to ask a few questions.

I've just got my first 205 GTi (1986 1.6 in white) Wanted one for years and thought if I don't get one now I'll be too old and boring to get one. Needs a bit of work doing but I'm on with it in between the rain and such before I put it on the road. Want to keep it as original as I can.

Anyway I'm looking to use this as my daily drive and to take on long trips away. I've been told by some people that these aren't really the kind of cars to do that sort of thing with as they are now getting on with age and not good on fuel ect...

So how are all your cars doing?

Do you use them all the time?

Do you always have to fiddle/repair bits on them?

How are they on fuel? (Obviously depending on driving style)

What are they like on long journeys?

Are they practical for everyday use?

If I can think of any more things I'll add.

Many thanks.

Mr_Frosty.

Tom Fenton

To try and answer your points,

Firstly it kind of depends what you compare the 205 to. If you compare it to a modern car then you will be disappointed. But compared to other cars of the period they are quite reliable and useable.

Long journeys wise a well set up 1.6 will do around 40mpg driven carefully. But the gearing is quite short and so they do rev quite high at motorway speeds which can become a little tiring. But at the same time I did 1500 miles in 4 days in one of my 1600 205's once.

In terms of reliability and tinkering once sorted they are decent enough, but your average 205 is often fairly tired and in need of a thorough service and usually somewhat of an overhaul.

welshpug

I think Tom summed it up pretty well, do everything thoroughly, don't bodge owt, you'll be reet :)

10k miles this year in my 1.9 :)

johnnyboy666

I've pretty much always had a 205 of some sort for my daily drive. the only thing you have to be prepared for if you don't have a second car, is to make sure you fix things before they brake so to speak. so if you havent got a decent set of tools and a drive/garage to work on, you might struggle getting some things done in an evening/weekend.

I remember frantically swapping a rear beam lying on my back in a puddle during torrential rain on the side of a busy road trying to get my car ready for its mot so I could drive 40miles to work the next day!

but you get to learn all the ins and outs of the car pretty well that way :)

• Like 2

calvinhorse

I find Keeping your car spotlessly clean inside and out at all times makes driving it daily alot more pleasurable.

A clean gti looks like something special rather than an old banger :D

Also inside soon looks a mess with a fast food container in the footwell and dusty dash!

And don't let the little jobs mount up

brumster

Yep, no reason they can't be reliable. They're easy to work on and the majority of major components are readily available either from Peugeot or other models. The XU engine has been going for years and does not have significant failure issues. Likewise the BE gearbox is still in use today in one derivative or another. I'd agree with Calvin - "don't let the little jobs mount up". And keep up on preventative maintenance - regular servicing items like oil changes, grease-ups, fuel filter, plugs.

• Like 4

Batfink

I really don't think reliability is the issue. What they are suffering from is old age. Just like Granny needs a new hip, these cars are getting to the stage they need a reasonable amount of parts replaced due to simple wear and tear. Personally i've refrained from using one as a daily simply because I can't be bothered with replacing parts over the weekends ready for monday.

welshpug

Don't think I've replaced anything so far since my MOT last December, other than a starter motor, but that didn't fix it :lol:

BERTMAN

I've used 205's as daily's on and off now for 6-7 years and I have found them no less reliable than any other (even modern) cars. Plus when they do break they are cheap and easy to put right; especially if you do it yourself.

• Like 1

MiniGibbo

I drove four hours to donnington in mine at nearly 100db with no sound deading and a short gearbox..

it sucked ass.

Mine gets used to for sunday drives and picking up a takeaway on a saturday night.

Anthony

No reason why you can't still daily drive a 205 GTi - many of our members still do, and whilst not strictly a daily, mine is used regularly for commuting and daily use.

There's two key pieces of advice that I will give:

1. Take the time to go over the car with a fine tooth combe and sort out wear, tear, and neglect before putting it into use, as this will make for a much more reliable and enjoyable experience. As mentioned above, once on the road and in use, try to be proactive rather than reactive for maintenance and repairs.
  2. For a car being used daily, do not underestimate the value for comfort, compliance and sound deadening. Too many people have found out to their cost that a stripped out 205 on stiff suspension and a noisy exhaust is not particularly pleasant on a daily commute!

Keep it standard(ish), keep it in fine fettle, and you'll have a ball.

They're fun, practical and cheap to run cars, and surprisingly good on fuel if you take the time to get them running sweetly - I'm averaging 38mpg from my 1.9 GTi commuting to work.

• Like 1

Baz

My 'road' 205 is still my first choice of transport when i'm going somewhere that doesn't require taking a few passengers or loads of space and even then it's like a little van.

It's comfortable enough despite having non standard seat/belts, suspension etc, cheap to run, barely needs any maintenance because it was built well in the first place and it's SO much fun.

lemmingzappa

I've used my 205's daily for a few years now with only a couple of hiccups. I've only had one breakdown whilst out on the road and that was due to a dodgy release bearing which had already suffered some severe crash damage!

It's completely stripped out, with all mounts being pretty much solid and on stiffer suspension. I haven't got fed up with it yet, like Baz said it's so much fun to drive! It also makes for some good car talk when I drive to clients as they are always asking about it :)

I've also taken them on multiple trips to Germany and back including lots of Ring laps without any major issues.

Edited by lemmingzappa

Mr_Frosty

Wow cheers guys that was more info than I expected.

Yes I'll be doing all of the work myself as I'm a mechanic for Suzuki at the moment.

I'll be keeping it standard (unless there is anything that makes them a whole lot better?) Looks like she'll be fine to use everyday then of course she'll be maintained and kept right up to form. Not waning to use her until I've done a little list of things.

-Cambelt + water pump. (obviously antifreeze/coolant)

-Spark plugs

-Check air filter

-Oil and filter.

Currently have the rear brakes in bits and the beam swapped for a second hand one (not sure if that was the best move but it was a good price)

Reason for doing this is I bought her with little history done 30 miles in 2 years but I think I got a good deal. £1000 with mot and only 115k miles. No way near split mint though (yet).

Wanted it ready for the 1st of December but looks like that is out of it as I still have paintwork to do (rear quarter panels and bottom of b pilers)

Had to put that on hold today as I hydro-locked my current car. Just got it going again 2 hours later. All I can say with that is I'm very lucky not to have bent a rod or anything.

johnnyboy666

sounds like you'll be fine then :)

I'd suggest if you're putting a second hand beam on there, then split down the original one and see what its like inside, you might be able to save it/ rebuild it if its not too far gone. mind you a lot of them are scrap now.

johniban

id never use my 205 as my daily drive, i find its a horrible car to use everyday, ride is harsh, seats are hard, no power steering, furthest ive driven in it as about 40 miles wouldnt really want to go any further.

I really only use mine for weekends or when i have too. i love it to bits and its fun to drive but not everyday.

ive got a little 106 i use as my daily run around its comfy and has nice power steering.

johniban

as for doing stuff to them, i motd it, on closer inspection of a small rust hole in the sill, it now sits on axle stands in my garage as the small rust hole turned into the whole inner and outer sill after a gentle prod around

welshpug

You need some decent suspension then, mine on Bilstein road stuff was not "stiff" at all, nor are the seats hard, I think the worst car I've been in for traits like that was a Classic shape Subaru WRX with the leather seats, which is odd, as I've been in an AST equipped turbo2000 which was a world apart.

Steering I don't find heavy, that can be tired steering column joints and top mounts, and poor tyre choice, if that's all good, MTFU :P

• Like 1

johnnyboy666

my steering isn't heavy, and that's with 8j wheels and 205section tyres on the front at the moment. maybe you should eat some spinach? and the only time I could describe a 205s ride as 'harsh' was when I was using completely knackered shocks. mines set up pretty damn stiff currently, but its still very comfy in my opinion. but then I don't drive any other cars so I'm biased.

lemmingzappa

I've never had any issues with the steering being too heavy. My daily has a PAS rack with the pump removed on 7J wheels and the only time I notice it is when I'm stationary. Even then, just put some muscle into it!

Edited by lemmingzappa

pugpete1108

I used my old shell daily for a while before the engine boiled up (in the middle of reshelling it now)

Only things I've done is go to town on the sound proofing, fit power steering and all new suspension etc.

Hoping to use the new shell daily that's why I'm taking my time and trying to make it as modern as possible but keeping the fun if the gti in tact

Lan

use mine daily aswell, I've done loads to it over the years I've had it but that was more my choice than anything, the only thing I've replaced this year is the starter as it started sticking, I think it actually disappoints some of the lads in work that it keeps on working and if I decide to fix something in work it doesn't take long because of the simplicity. and the steering is not heavy, infact its nothing compared to my mk2 golf

modern cars on the whole are of no interest to me, too much s*ite to go wrong if I were to have some other daily motor it would probably be a toyota because they just work, there is no substitute for the Japs when it comes to electrics.

• Like 1

johniban

i mean steering heavy as in parking ect.

no worn bushes or knakard shocks, just dont like the ride for everyday use compared to other cars

Mr_Frosty

As for my old beam I was thinking of trying to do a refurb myself if possible and cost effective. (not sure what kind of special tools I'll need yet if any)

Well to be honest with you all my drive back home was much better than I thought it was going to be. Not comparing it to modern cars as that is unfair to any classic, but still not exhausting and that was after 2 hours with no radio! Especially for an old French car.

I must say it did feel a little hard ride on the front suspension but then again it's a "sporty" car so expect nothing less.

Same goes for the noise didn't find it quite but then it shouldn't be and still not too loud to annoy you.

Surly these are drivers cars?

As for power steering doesn't that take the feel out of the wheel?

I also have a kit car that I use in summer no power steering there and really hard suspension, of course the exhaust happens to exit just to the right of your arse so rather loud in your ear.

So life of luxury as the 205 has doors, electric windows, a heater and somewhere to keep my things without some little bugger with sly hands getting in there.

One more thing are there ever any meets or drive abouts? I'd like something like a 205 road trip. Not like the kids that hang out at MacDonalds though please.

• Like 1

calvinhorse

Where abouts are you?