• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sushisushi

What Is The Best Quality New Starter Motor?

sushisushi

Yep it's broken. I found this out in the rain last night. Can anyone recommend the best quality one to get? Model / part number would be a big help. Just been looking on ebay and one valeo I enquired about turned out to be incompatible even though it was listed as OK for a 1.9 GTI

They came back with a bosh £160!!!!, or a delco remy £125. The Valeo one was only £50!

So my question is. What is the best quality / most reliable / price starter out there. I'm using the pug as my daily driver all winter....

welshpug

a £15-20 small bodied one from the for sale section of the forum, found on most XU's and XUD's, and even DW's from the early 90's onwards.

sushisushi

Not really wanting to go for a second hand one though? Do you know which brand I should go for if I'm going down the new route?

farmer

i bought genuine pug recon unit no problems

pug_ham

Valeo, oe fitment but not priced accordingly.

g

DamirGTI

I have Mitsubishi starter from 206 GTi on my 205 :)

.. it's a straight fit on any XU engine/box , it's light , very reliable , and it sounds nice when cranking as well B)

Damir

• Like 1

pug_ham

Mitsubishi are also used more often as oe fit now, the starter I just sold to Chris H off a 406 hdi was a Mitsubishi but my 306 hdi has a valeo.

g

sushisushi

Thanks, the Mitsubishi one sounds good. anyone know any part numbers / model numbers or why to buy one from?!

Haven't got the faintest!

is it the satndard 306 HDI starter? Will it fit without modification?

Edited by sushisushi

sushisushi

ended up ordering a new bosch one from a 406. Let you know how it goes

pug_ham
is it the satndard 306 HDI starter? Will it fit without modification?

Yes, it will fit virtually without modification, you'll need to change the solenoid feed wire from a spade terminal to a ring type, other that that it'll bolt straight one.

The 3/406 hdi Mitsubishi starter I just sold was part number M001T80481.

g

• Like 1

Matteo

About 4 years ago I fitted a very powerful 1.7 Kw, new, unbranded and cheap unit got form Ebay.de.

Henry Yorke

I have dug up an old thread here to save starting a new one. A search of the forum reveals that the majority of the starter motor posts are 5 to 7 years old so time has moved on slightly.

Summary to date:

• Fat body (Bosch) original starter motors are now very old and more than likely worn out
  • Brush repair kits from Peugeot are expensive and getting harder to find
  • XU10 starter motors are an upgrade, particularly diesel ones as they have more power and less prone to heatsoak
  • Some people have even fitted 206 / 307 / 307 starter motors
  • There are various manufacturers of slim body starter motors and Mitsubishi are better quality than Valeo
  • There are lots of terrible "Reconditioned" starter motors out there at local factors.
  • The XU fitment starter motor can also be found on lots of non-Peugeots
  • Slim body starters are much easier to fit
  • Only original 8v fat body starter motors still have the bracket to the block which reduces twist in the body of the motor (to be confirmed)

So the current 2015 questions are:

• If fitting a brand new starter motor, what is the best value for money one out there? (I'm thinking about approx a budget of £100 for one)
  • If fitting a second hand genuine one, what is the best model car to get one from? (consider newness, availability and manufacturer, e.g. 407 2.2HDI, Misubishi Part number M001T80481)
  • If going for a reconditioned one, what make and suppliers do people recommend?

Valeo XU partnumbers by Welshpug: http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=117218

Reason for my question. is that I have my 1FM in bits at the moment with the inlet off and I can clearly see the starter motor. It is a Bosch black Fat Body 001 208 516 item and someone has already put a relay on it. Whilst I can see it, I may as well change it as once the inlet, PAS, remote oil filter, twin fans, aircon rad and aircon condensor is all back on then it will be buried forever under the inlet manifold and throttle body. Having changed 3 on my CTI to date I know what an awkward thing it can be to change and the CTI doesn't have all this extra kit, wiring and piping.

post-3457-0-49436500-1427028168_thumb.jpgpost-3457-0-00411800-1427028170_thumb.jpg

Richard309Sri XU5JA 205GTi
On 11/28/2012 at 12:31 AM, DamirGTI said:

.. it's a straight fit on any XU engine/box , it's light , very reliable , and it sounds nice when cranking as well B)

Damir

Just ordered one going to give it a go:) 

To be fair, I have hammered 3 Valeo ones and even the Bosch has taken a beating.                                 

They've been over-used just to get the engine up and running again, unless there is something really wrong with my engine rebuild.(?) I was turning over the engine ages each time like maybe 45 secs each time 3-4 times in a row.  

It now though seems to turn over by hand fairly easy so not sure why problems with these valeo and bosch ones.

Two valeo ones the brushes have gone and one bosch the brushes went, replaced and now gone again. Yeah so I replaced the brushes in the bosch original one 001 208 516 but they have gone again! I have resoldered again and working but just need to tighten up refit solenoid - will do over weekend 

How light/easy should it be to turn over the engine? 

One valeo one the armature/rotor - the segments connection to the windings gaps in the connections. That is unusual I think. The other two the brushes and the solenoids have been buggered. I did hammer them though to be fair. 

Hope this one gets me back in the game, car non starter for now... :( .....

Hopefully be good news again and it will start up again. Nothing else has changed from when it was running before obviously. 

Edited by Richard309Sri XU5JA 205GTi
typo

Richard309Sri XU5JA 205GTi

ENFIN!  

One of my valeo's is finally working again so she starts :D bit slow starting but that is not the SM of course. 

Great result had to tell someone - anyone - who might read these threads. 

Well chuffed as I replaced the brushes myself so it's great it works again.  

It turns much faster than exactly the same other one with the same battery. Tres Etrange LoL 

Now just to find some bloody petrol :lol::lol::lol: