• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
starky5

Various Ignition Based Questions!

starky5

Ive not long got my mi16 conversion running and as expected i have a couple teething issues. It seems that my HT leads aren't the best as one fell off while driving today!

So first question, can someone recommend a good set of HT leads without going as far as £70 odd for magnicore leads.

Leading on from that, what brands sell good quality replacement dizzy caps and rotor arms?

Im guessing this is what's caused my problem and if not they need doing anyway it appears!

The car starts fine when cold but as it warms up it becomes lumpy and seems to miss a spark every now and then. This gets worse until the car dies when you stop and wont start until it has cooled down a bit! What else is in the list of things that could be causing this?

Finally do any companies make a coil pack conversion for the mi16 to replace the coil and dizzy?

Thanks for any help

Anthony

You can't just replace the dizzy setup with a coilpack unfotunately as the ECU doesn't support that.

The only way to do it is to move over to aftermarket management, or possibly get an different OE setup (eg Motronic 3.1 or Magnetti Marelli 8P) and have that remapped to suit an Mi16 engine - neither option will be cheap!

As for caps, arms, and leads, it's becoming a case of what you can source these days really as they're getting harder to find as some suppliers have stopped doing them. Standard stuff is fine though. I'll warn you now that the cap and arm are pretty expensive - don't expect change from £50.

As with other bits, make sure that it's 1.9 16v bits you're being offered - the number of times I kept being offered a 1.9 8v cap and arm back when I had my Mi16 was frustrating! Almost certainly worse now given that various places don't even list the Mi parts - Motaquip being one example.