• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dexter1002

Gti6 Conversion Box

dexter1002

Hi there, I after a bit of info regarding a gearbox on my gti6 conversion I'm doing, I know I need a box with the capabilities of holding the cranks sensors which my early 1.6 be1 does not have. Will the later be3 1.6 boxes still accommodate my drive shafts? Or should I go with a 1.9 box and change hubs, drive shafts, brakes ect?

Thanks dexter

rikky

i'm using a be3 1.6 box on my 205 gti6. i've still to put the box on, but i've got a crank sensor that came off it. it's a lot skinnier than the standard gti6 be3/6 one, but i'm sure it will be fine

stef205

A gti6 box is a be1 box, if you used a be3 box you'd have to change some linkages etc, you should be able to find a be1 box with a crank sensor hole.

(null)

rikky

gti6 is be3/6

chipstick

I've got a BE1 1.6 box for sale up the road in Somerset with a crank sensor hole.

Edited by chipstick

Miles

as said a GTi6 box is either a BE3 or BE4 depending on age, BE1's of 3 types but around 1987/8 had the crank sensor hole fitted

pug_ham
A gti6 box is a be1 box, if you used a be3 box you'd have to change some linkages etc,
As above, the GTI-6 box is either a Be3 or Be4 depending on age & to swap between the Be1 & Be3 does not need any linkages changing, just the clutch pedal, cable & release bearing are different.

Other than that, a Be3 will fit straight on from a later 205 & should have the CAS hole.

g

dexter1002

Okay so I have given it some thought and I'm going to go with a Xsara vts box on my gti6. The only thing I would like to know is what would I have to change from my box to the Xsara box? What are the differences in the clutch pedal between be1 and the Xsara? I bought a servo and m/c a while ago and my old clutch cable went on so I'm guessing this is still the wrong pedal?

I'm just after everything I would need to changed as I do motorway miles and I don't think the 1.6 box would be best for this?

Thanks and any help would be greatly appreciated

D

pug_ham

If you presently have all Be1 cable & clutch mechanism, to swap to a Xsara VTS box you'd be best suited to change everything to the Be3 push clutch & cable set up, including the Xsara box clutch fork / arm & bearings to suit.

To do this you'll need a Be3 clutch pedal, cable, release bearing, clutch fork / arm & bearings.

You only change the motorway cruising rpm by about 100rpm iirc between a Xsara VTS / Mi16 box & the 1.6 GTI box but I suppose every little helps.

g

dcc

Iirc you need a 205 diff in a xsara box. Or xsara inner shaft cv.

welshpug

you can mod the pedal easily, and its a post 1990 thing, i.e MA boxes had the later hook type as well.

Edited by welshpug

dexter1002

you can mod the pedal easily, and its a post 1990 thing, i.e MA boxes had the later hook type as well.

Is there any pictures floating around of the be3 type pedal?

I could mod mine then as its out the car at the moment

Thanks

dexter1002

Are the vts boxes be4? If so what you have said to changed will still work yes?

Thanks

welshpug

yes, the differences are internal, clutch works the same way on a VTS box, other BE4 boxes have different types.

dexter1002

yes, the differences are internal, clutch works the same way on a VTS box, other BE4 boxes have different types.

That's cool there is one for sale on the gti6 forum and I just wanted to know before I purchase it.

Thanks

dexter1002

Would I use the normal vts clutch with the vts box then and not the bx 16v one that was previously going to be used for the 205 box?

Cheers

dexter1002

And if I use the bx16v clutch would I have to change the release arm to a be3 item or can I keep the existing vts box arm and use vts clutch with my be3 pedal and cable? Just need to know as I'm buying the clutch tomorrow :)

Miles

205, 405 ph1 & BX16v clutch's are push, xsara's and anything performance wise from 1993 ish are pull and all use corresponding parts so for furture referance

205, 405 ph1 & BX16v use a push clutch (3 piece) with matching push arm

405 Ph2, Xsara VTS, 306 S16 on use a Pull clutch (2 piece) with matching pull arm

Also make sure you use the right colour bush's top and bottom for the arm as they can be different locations causing the clutch not to work well and or fail quickly

dexter1002

Brilliant thanks alot miles I went for bx16v clutch, be3 cable and be3 pedal so I just need the release fork/ arm and correct bushes. Will post in the wanted section to see if anyone has one.

Thanks !