• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jonathan_steenbergen

2.2 Piston Question!

jonathan_steenbergen

Hello,

I'm starting to built a 2.2 mi16 (2187cc), like DrSarty and some others did.

I already have a new xu11 crankshaft :-), but i have to order some custom pistons.

I want 87mm pistons with the piston hole 3.5mm higher in the piston because the 92mm stroke crankshaft.

I thought some of you may have already done that, but where have you ordered that pistons?

And if you have the pistons i want, do you maybe een custom article number for me? that will make it much easyer to custom order the pistons.

Thanks already!

Greetings from the Netherlands!!

welshpug

only person I know that has built a good 2.2 is Sandy Brown and he gets his own design made, from CP afaik, but as its one of Sandy's designs you can't order them off the shelf, others have had some made but have had many issued getting them made to the correct specification.

IIRC DrSarty's didn't last as it had used standard rods and there was some issues with the pistons, it would be advisable to use custom rods as well and use a longer rod (more like RFS length)

You will need to decide what compression ratio and camshafts you want to run as well.

jonathan_steenbergen

Oke, thank you for the info!!

But DrSarty had a broken piston ring after 3 years?? was that the only problem?

Longer custom rods is indeed better because the forces on the piston when you take a longer stroke crank its also expensive.

What i mean.. if sarty doesn't had a problem with original rods but only a broken piston ring, i think i try original rod and see what's happend.

I doesn't want the maximum out of this motor, but only good working 2.2 with al lots of torque!

Thanks from holland.

B1ack_Mi16

I haven't finished my engine yet, but I chose off the shelf pistons from Wiseco for some Honda K20 with K24 head or something like that.

Valve pockets matched the Mi16 head perfectly.

Got custom Pauter I-beam rods made to suit, 159mm long ones if I remember correctly.

It's for a 2.2 T16, but of course I've yet to see how it will work.

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=143455&view=findpost&p=1291842

Mad Scientist

I've got a tech drawing if you want it.

Sarty's only had a problem because, as you said, the rings killed it. Not correctly installed IIRC.

jonathan_steenbergen

Okay! can you send to me?

Anything can help me!

Mad Scientist

Pm me your email address and I'll send it over.

DrSarty

My engine ran for 2-3 years faultlessly.

The issue regarding the piston rings (melting) on cylinder 1 (near the clutch), at the hot end of the engine was after a build-up of mistreatment by me, plus a likely weak initial build, with poor ring gapping.

There were times when I changed inlets, and ran with inappropriate (rich) fuelling for too long inspite of restricting the engine to below 4k rpm. This may have lead to some bore washing. I also rented the car out whilst I was out of the country.

When we changed inlets, went to staged injectors and had Sandy map it properly with closer to optimum AFR /mixtures and as a result running temps and produced 202bhp ATW and then ragged it silly, the accumulation of mis-treatment and that potential poor initial ring gapping, caused cyl 1 rings to 'grab' the cylinder walls and also melt a piston crown.

The build until then never let me down, returned 35mpg and went like a rocket with oodles of torque (196lbft - 2.2 N/A). It started on the button in cold and hot weather and when warm itself, and took me and my son 3,500miles around Europe on the 2009 forum Eurotrip, including 2 laps of the Nurburg Ring.

In summ: it was a great engine, let down by me and a mechanical weakness which showed only after a long time. I loved it.

Out of it, I know I would definitely choose Sandy Brown et al (John Read/Reid, Mark Shilaber etc) as my preferred engine builders in future as a personal and recommended preference. Their results speak for themselves. I would also not piss about so much.

Edited by DrSarty

Mad Scientist

You're still lurking about them!

What's happening with that shell of yours?

Your car certainly went well, and you undoubtably had your moneys worth.............but I'll eat my hat if that torque figure was accurate. Still, the numbers/pub bull are irrelevant, it's the fun factor that counts, and I'm sure you had buckets of that.