• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
flyfisher

Mi16 Cti

flyfisher

Hi I'm looking for some info. Please let me explain I've got a phase two cti1.9 as you will know this has a cat. What I'm trying to find out is I want to do a alloy block mi16 engine convertion can I do this without using a cat as car is registered as a cat 1.9 model. Or would I have to get a 1.6 cti which are all non cat from new so putting in another non cat unit should not be a problem any advice would be helpful many thanks

rikky

if the car came out of the factory with a cat it needs one for the MOT regardless of the engine in it. that is my understanding

my 205 came without a cat. the gti6 engine in it were all from a cat era, but i can run it without a cat because the car didn't need one from factory

pug_ham
if the car came out of the factory with a cat it needs one for the MOT regardless of the engine in it. that is my understanding

That's not quite true, if the engine is older than the car & from a non-cat model then the car no longer needs a cat iirc but proving this is an interesting point for an mot tester.

g

rikky

so i could put a 1989 non cat 1.9 engine in my 2001 gti6 and it won't need a cat? i thought it went off the year of the car regardless

pug_ham
so i could put a 1989 non cat 1.9 engine in my 2001 gti6 and it won't need a cat? i thought it went off the year of the car regardless

Afaik, yes, the emissions test goes on the oldest component, engine or car but the majority of test stations would test it as a 2001 car & if it failed the emissions you'd have to make the fact it had an older non-cat engine fitted clear & it should then be tested as a non-cat but it is a grey area & many mot stations wouldn't probably know about.

If the engine originally never had a cat fitted then it would be tested as a non-cat vehicle.

g

Anthony

As above - the vehicle is tested on the emissions criteria based on whichever is eldest out of the car and engine.

The onus is on the person presenting the vehicle for test to prove the age of the engine.

A 1.9 Mi16 engine in a 2001 306 would be tested as a non-CAT so long as you could prove the age of the engine.

rikky

never knew that :) thought it was always engine age

Miles

What year is the CTi? Even upto 1994 can be tested as a non CAT (Grey area) and how many MOT people would know that a 205 needs a CAT anyway even if the Computer tells them, much like all late 205's are 1FM's

S@m

As above it goes on whichever is the oldest. I had a '97 306 with an '88 engine and no cat was required. As said though, its up to you to prove the age of the engine to the tester. Often i had to go armed with the page/chapter number of the relevant section in the MOT handbook aswell.

Sam

Edited by Sam306