• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sean-G

Engine Noise Advice Needed (Pinking?)

sean-G

evening all

my engine doesn't sound very healthy at the moment.its got a very worrying noise and has sounded like this since i bought it(around 3months ago/not been used on the road yet thou has been driven around an industrial estate and drives great!)

it sounds like its pinking to me so i filled it with 97RON and retarded the ignition.i retarded the igntion so much so that the car was noticeably down on power, but it made no difference to the speed or sound of the noise.

does anyone know what the noise could be? 2 points to mention thou the exhaust manifold has a hairline crack & exhaust valve clearances are abit tight roughly by 000.2

^could these possibly be the cause of the noise,i have also heard the injectors can be abit noisey.

small video of the engine idling

sorry about the noisy alternator lol

any help would be much appreciated.

cheers

dcc

could be a cracked exhaust manifold, quite common.

• Like 1

lemmingzappa

Sound could be leaky manifold/exhaust or the injectors. I had a pretty bad pinking issue which wouldn't disappear regardless of advance.

After 2 different distributors I ended up having to get one rebuilt to fix the problem.

• Like 1