• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

glenwah

Xu10J4Rs 205 High Idle

glenwah

HI all, new to this so not sure if its been on here before or not, just finished putting a xsara vts engine, engine loom (modded by Spiky) and unlocked ecu in to my miami blue 205, all components came from the same car so should work well together, started her up the other day and the idle went straight up to 3500-4000rpm, i found that if you block off the idle air control valve pipe quite a bit the idle would settle down, i took this as the valve was knackered so replaced it, still no better, any ideas please, cheers guys.

Anthony

Check that you have +12v to one of the pins on the ICV with the ignition on - took a bit of head scratching on a friends conversion why it was doing the same as yours, and it transpired that one of the wires wasn't connected where he'd converted the loom causing the ICV to stay open.

Also, make sure that you've blocked off the throttle body port where the carbon canister pipe would have connected, as that will cause an airleak if left open.

glenwah

Have checked the connector to the icv and I have 5v 0v 5v 0v across the four pins, no 12volts, I know on motorcycles (motorcycle mechanic by trade) that anything that is ecu controlled only runs 5 volts so this seems normal to me but I could well be wrong. Head scratcher.

Anthony

Definitely should be 12v to the ICV pins - I too thought that 5v seemed right, but it was definitely meant to be 12v.

Thread in question for that car is here - I didn't fix the wiring so I can't confirm which wire was missing, but off the top of my head I think that it's the one that is erroneously labelled as being for the airbag in some wiring diagrams - CC1 or something IIRC?

If Pete (2052006) reads this he might be able to confirm.

glenwah

Thanks mate, that's great, do you know if I could just give the wire a 12v feed or does it have to come from the ecu?

CosKev

Thanks mate, that's great, do you know if I could just give the wire a 12v feed or does it have to come from the ecu?

Had this problem on my 309 Gti I converted with a Xsara Eng,also a Spiky loom.

The live comes from the control relay,thats bolted to the rear of the battery box on the 306 Gti6,some people call it the fuel pump relay.

Hence why its 12v,its not from the ECU.

A ignition live +12v will be fine if you can't figure out the wire thats not connected in the converted loom.

Edited by CosKev

pugpete1108

Make sure you haven't blown the resonator box on the inlet, I did on mine and had a high idle which I couldn't figure out why as I'm not running an icv.

Does sound like icv but thought I'd mention it.

glenwah

A ignition live +12v will be fine if you can't figure out the wire thats not connected in the converted loom.

Is that for both the wires that I'm getting 5volts down? ie I need two 12v and two earths? Thanks for your earlier reply.

CosKev

Is that for both the wires that I'm getting 5volts down? ie I need two 12v and two earths? Thanks for your earlier reply.

No,they will be from the ECU telling the ICV what to do.

One of the wires with 0v will be an earth I think,and the other will need to be +12v ign live.

What colour are the two wires with 0v?

glenwah

The 0 volts is on the orange and light pink/violet wires, I checked the ecu multiplug to see where I was getting my 5 volts from and they are both from the ecu, do I basically cut these wires away from the ecu and feed 12 volts down them to the iacv?

Anthony

No, don't do that. You shouldn't need to cut/hack anything on the Xsara loom itself.

As said, when I saw this issue it was because one of the wires that needs to be spliced into the 205 loom for the 12v ignition wasn't connected.

CosKev

As above,its a wire not connected in the Spiky loom,I traced it back to the control relay and connected an ign live to the dead wire before the relay rather than pull the loom apart and find said un-connected wire.

I'll check in my garage later,I'm sure I wrote down the wire that was dead when I was tracing it through wiring diagrams,but it could of gone in the bin as it was a couple of years ago!

Spiky

any idea what the wire is kev that needs the 12v ?

obviously the vts loom differs here and the gti6 loom dont need this wire, and must get it's 12v from somewhere else

Spiky

also, sorry to you both, that have had my looms and this wire is missing

CosKev

Just checked on my Rallye and there are two wires with +12v with ign on,purple and brown.

These are the two wires nearest the front of the car when ICV is plugged in.

All I can find scrawled on my piece of paper with wiring diagram from when I sorted the problem is:

Pin 13 powered from pin 12 of relay.

Pin 35 powered from pin 1 of relay.

Relay pins 2,8,11,15 are perm live.

Relay pin 14 is ign live.

Sold my 309 a while back so can't check soz.

glenwah

That's brilliant guys thanks, I have a wiring diagram so will have a prod around at the weekend and see what I can find, cheers for the help everyone.

glenwah

Just had a quick look and its the purple wire that's constant live to pin 2 that's missing.

welshpug

*Switched live, not constant!

glenwah

It's shown as a constant live on the wiring diagram.

CosKev

Just had a quick look and its the purple wire that's constant live to pin 2 that's missing.

Nice one.Hope that sorts it!

glenwah

That has sorted it, cheers mate, runs like a dream, also the fuel pump shuts off after priming like it should, it was just constantly running before which I thought was odd, thanks again.

CosKev

Nice one :)

Retro Pug

That has sorted it, cheers mate, runs like a dream, also the fuel pump shuts off after priming like it should, it was just constantly running before which I thought was odd, thanks again.

Hi Ian, sorry to bring this one back up but I think I've exactly the same issue. How exactly did you sort? My pump is running all the time too and idling at about 3k....

Thanks John.