• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mr Bob

S16 Engine Running Noise

Vili

I don't know about the high pitched sound but it sounds like one of your big end bearings is gone.

welshpug

does sound rather "bigendy"

Mr Bob

the crank shaft was slight slight out of time redone the timing belt now it start up fine, idles fine but there is a knock when reved, im also guessing big end bearing

question is what do i do now

Vili

Take the engine apart and get your crank journals and con rods checked. Crankshaft will need grinding and at worst case be beyond repair. Con rods are probably ok if the bearing shells haven't spun.

After getting the crank fixed get new bearings from the machinist who fixed it and put the engine back together.

Edited by Vili

ydoidoit

Mate if your crankshaft is shot I've got a S16 one I'd be willing to sell you. PM me if you need it.

Mr Bob

Mate if your crankshaft is shot I've got a S16 one I'd be willing to sell you. PM me if you need it.

Thanks very much for the offer I'll defo keep it in mind :)

Take the engine apart and get your crank journals and con rods checked. Crankshaft will need grinding and at worst case be beyond repair. Con rods are probably ok if the bearing shells haven't spun.

After getting the crank fixed get new bearings from the machinist who fixed it and put the engine back together.

Ok so the car been sat for about a week now still not figured out what I want to do, at 1st I thought I might like a swap to a 8v turbo engine but since I cant find any for sale I'm starting to look at other options

Yippeekayay has an s16 bottom end for sale, I would just need to use mine to complet it, however its in Coventry and I'm in Glasgow and the cost of the bottom end plus the cost of me having to get a van and drive to cov and back is pushing the price of it upwards

The last option I have is like you say take it out, and rebuild it which is very appealing to me, now I have never took an engine a part and put it back together so I'm a little apprehensive about it but the only way to learn is by doing, I just don't want to spend a lot of money for it to spin another bearing after rebuilding it due to me not doing it right or what ever and having to spend another load of money to do it all again (I dont make much :( )

I also like this idea because I have an 88mm crank shaft from a 1.9 turbo diesel sitting in my office for the last 2 years (which I'm going to take to west of scotland engineering tomorrow for a quote on getting the journals checked out, it came out a fully running engine thats not had any crank failure that i know of so it should be ok) this would be the opportune moment to fit it, however after doing a lot of reading on here I have concerns about the reliability of 2045cc engines as I have read on here some people who have done it have had issues the again some others say they done it with no issues at all I also have concerns about what needs to be done to fit it, I'm under the impresion its a strait swap for the 86mm but do I need to shave 1mm off the top of the pistons? I'm running a stage 1 petert camshaft so will I have to have the valve pockets in the pistons deepend? will I need larger injectors? (currently running 1.9 gti injectors as peter told me thats would be a good idea while running his cam)

Also I'm unaware of the fourm edicate, should I start another post with these questions? or keep it to this one? as I will have a load more if I do take this on :(

This is my second car however when it is on the road I like to do shows in it (like pugfest) and that means doing up to 800miles in 1 weekend so reliabilty is key, and if fitting the 88mm means I will always be wondering if the engines going to go any anytime thats not good for me and I'll take ydoidoit up on his offer

Edited by Mr Bob

Vili

The valve pockets will need to be deepened with 88 mm crank and petert camsaft. You will also need larger injectors and preferably a remap. You could also fit thicker headgasket or skim the pistons lightly to bring the compression down but not 1mm! Reliability wise I can't see any problem if everything is done properly.

dcc

Reliability is only going to be an issue when you go past 87mm piston bore.

If you're going to do it properly - get custom rods and pistons and your half way there...

Mr Bob

Reliability is only going to be an issue when you go past 87mm piston bore.

If you're going to do it properly - get custom rods and pistons and your half way there...

I don't intend to bore out the block, just giving it a quick hone with a honing tool so that should be ok.

Unfortunately I can't afford custom pistons so I have to make the standard S16 pistons work somehow.

The valve pockets will need to be deepened with 88 mm crank and petert camsaft. You will also need larger injectors and preferably a remap. You could also fit thicker headgasket or skim the pistons lightly to bring the compression down but not 1mm! Reliability wise I can't see any problem if everything is done properly.

I like the sound of that, however a bit worried about the skimming of the pistons and getting the pockets deepened, if I use a 1.4mm head gasket how much would I need to skim the piston and valve pocket? or would I have to build it and measure it, also does anyone know where I could get the skim and pockets done in the UK? (preferably Scotland)

Vili

If you fit 1,4 mm head gasket and deepen valve pockets by 1 mm there is no need to skim the pistons. Compression ratio will be around 11 which is exactly what you want.

Almost any machinist can deepen the valve pockets as it doesn't need any high end machinery or special skills. This is one of my pistons in the milling machine.

Kuva007.jpg

Mr Bob

Excellent, I'll ask around and see what I come up with. :)

Also thanks for your time and patience its been very helpful. B)

No doubt there will be more questions when I get round to doing it.

Mr Bob

Oh, one more (maybe silly) question, do I have to enlarge all 4 pockets or just the inlets side?

Vili

I did all four, but that is because I have aftermarket exhaust camshaft (which I didn't use at the end). But with inlet only, you would want only the inlet side done.

welshpug

you should do a dummy build to confirm, given you are increasing the stroke, also confirm the height of the head to see if it has ever had a skim, and measure the combustion chamber.

I do believe the S16 pistons can be used for this as they are hefty lumps, unlike the RFS pistons which aren't particularly meaty at all comparatively for a cast piston, they will need some material removing fro the crown or you will end up with quite a high compression ratio.

Vili

RFS pistons come to deck height or close as standard, but S16 piston+conrod combo stays 1 mm under deck with std. 86 mm stroke crank. So when you put 88 mm stroke crank to S16 bottom end you'll end up pistons coming up to "zero deck". That's why there is no need to machine the pistons crown other than valve pockets.

Mr Bob

The crank was checked this morning, I'm told it in excellent condition and I'm good to use standard size bearing, should i used 1.9 TD bearings or 2.0 S16 bearings?

I'll be phoning a machine shop later today about the pistons.

welshpug

is it diesel? :lol:

Mr Bob

is it diesel? :lol:

the engine wont be a diesel but the crank if from a diesel.... so do i need bearings to match the crank or to match the engine block?