• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bondyshambles

Need Help...what Are These, Where Should They Go ?

bondyshambles

Hi there......after fighting to remove my centre console i have some questions.

earthstrap.jpg

Is this an earthing strap and if so, why does it double back on itself and what does it do?

consolepart.jpg

What is this? It was on the drivers side of the console.

whichbulb.jpg

This was tucked inside the console. I noticed that i did have a bulb missing from behind the heater knob area but the bulb that was there was blown and was just a straight unscrew type.

Yes i am learning about my car so excuse any insulting questions. Thanks in advance.

Carbs4me

top one looks like speaker wire.

The middle looks to be some sort of alarm system (EDIT - possibly for central locking?)

The third one... i have no idea.

Edited by Carbs4me

welshpug

first is an earth, second some form of control unit, central locking or alarm. last one is a light for the ashtray or fag lighter.

Hugh_

3rd one possible the ashtray/lighter socket bulb?

Tom Fenton

The Sterling unit is an immobiliser unit, a cheap version of a Toad immobiliser from the late 90's, I had to have one fitted to my old 405Mi to get it insured.

bondyshambles

Thankyou people all makes a bit of sense...I do have an immobiliser on the car which is a Sterling so i had best leave that alone. The bulb was the main thing. It doesn't light but appears not to be blown either...more investigation me thinks. The earth from the gearbox area may well be speaker related as there was a mass of wiring for subs, amps etc that had been pushed into some weird places...basically bodged. The amp was under the passenger seat and screwed into the carpet !!! I am replacing the carpet thats how i have found these wires. Another question is, while i have the car apart would Waxoiling the whole floor from the inside be the done thing before i replace the carpet, or not ?

Hugh_

No point in wax oiling the inside, it'll just make a horrible mess of the carpets when they go back in.

If the floors are suffering then remove all traces of rust then use a rust inhibitor, then paint.

On cars that have hollow sills it is sometimes beneficial to wax oil inside them, but not the interior.

bondyshambles

Managed to get away with no rust at all....very lucky

bondyshambles

first is an earth, second some form of control unit, central locking or alarm. last one is a light for the ashtray or fag lighter.

Ok so i am confused. I have got the bulb to light up now but it still doesn't have anywhere to sit as such. I see that the fag lighter has the connector block but nothing else around it. Am i missing a clip of some sort? It does look like the bulb could slot into the amber housing that the lighter plugs (at the back), but i dont just want it sitting there at the back just incase it gets burnt or burns something itself.

Cheers

• Like 1

grandos

It should slot into the amber housing around the outside of the cigarette lighter, that way when the lights are on and you open the ashtray/lighter unit it will glow orange.

The amber unit is brittle and may of snapped though!

The earth in the top picture looks like more than a bodge and needs sorting ASAP.

pug_ham

The earth in the top picture has been added later, I guess for the amp you mention & can be removed, there definately isn't one there usually.

The ashtray light slots into the centre dash panel as shown in this post / topic

g

grandos

I always thought it clipped into the orange housing, apologies for the Mis-information, and thank you for correcting me Graham.

bondyshambles

It should slot into the amber housing around the outside of the cigarette lighter, that way when the lights are on and you open the ashtray/lighter unit it will glow orange.

The amber unit is brittle and may of snapped though!

The earth in the top picture looks like more than a bodge and needs sorting ASAP.

Cheers...strap has been removed....the engine starts so thats good enough for me.. :D

bondyshambles

Hmmm a difference of opinion as Jimmy Tarbuck would say ( in regards to light bulb position) i will check it out tomorrow am. Why do we think it could be located onto the amber lighter part or in the hole in the plastic cowling....is it a phase 1, phase 2 thing ?

pug_ham

Click the link I posted above, it shows the exact place where the bulb fits into the centre dash panel, there is a location for it there.

g

bondyshambles

Ok so i had a look today and i agree it goes where the diagram shows. Problem is that the actual bulb doesn't reach, its about 2 inches short. The wire may be caught behind the back of the console....great i am gonna have to rip the whole lot out again :angry:. Just hoping that the previous numpty has just wrapped it around the back somewhere...just like the rest of the wiring.

pug_ham

Yeah, the wire runs totally inside the dash with the cig lighter plug.

I think you can pull it back through to the right place without stripping the dash down & just loosening a few screws.

g