• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Carl Chambers

From Track Car To Works Van!

Carl Chambers

Many of you will know my 205 track car but those that dont here is the thread about it

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=130231

Well after trying to sell this car as a whole thing minus its engine, I had very little luck so it was broken up and the cage, seats etc sold off making more money than the whole shell was for sale for!

But that left me with a nice shell doing nothing, so after getting a 5 door 1.1 205 and only doing 1 mile to work every day in my 406 V6 which was costing a bomb the idea started and the 1.1 was reshelled into the miami shell making a cheap to run work van!

Here are a few pictures!

003-34.jpg

004-33.jpg

outside is still the same still with the carbon roof but inside is totally different! 1.1 dash and seats

002-37.jpg

and rear all panelled out as a proper van;

001-37.jpg

the 1.1 power house! its not really that bad goes quite well but as said Im only a 1 mile from home to work most of which is in 30mph speed limits. 4 speed and a choke mind you takes getting used to!

005-30.jpg

now using GTi running gears and GTI-6 brakes, made mating the driveshafts interesting! luckly the 306 GTi6 shafts are hollow and the 1.1 are solid and almost the same size, so a same spacer to hold them square and they were welded together,

006-29.jpg

so it stops better than it goes with rear discs and GTi-6 front brakes!

another problem with a GTi front subframe and a TU engine was the exhaust needed to go where the gear linkage sits, so simple solution was;

008-18.jpg

007-21.jpg

front side exit exhaust lorry style, its a bit strange as all the noise comes from the front but you get used to it.

so she live on in a different life to before but I have had this car the longest, since 2003 so it would be sad to have got rid of it, now its a proper works van!

would love to get a multi van rear for it but they are hard to find now!

calvinhorse

The exhaust is brilliant!

I don't get why you've done the driveshafts like that, there are easier ways :D

yippeekayay

well at least you are using it, would have bought it off you to reshell my track day car if i realised you had sold the rest of it ..... but it was too much with the bits in it....good to see its getting a second life.....even as a measly 1.1, I would have thought you might have found something a little more appropriate like an old 1.9 from somewhere, cant be that much more guzzly than the rice pudding skin puller...

S@m

This is the opposite of a sleeper - not sure if there is a word for it. Either way it's the best looking works van i've ever seen.

Sam

chipstick

This is the opposite of a sleeper - not sure if there is a word for it. Either way it's the best looking works van i've ever seen.

Sam

Ricer?

Carl Chambers

The exhaust is brilliant!

I don't get why you've done the driveshafts like that, there are easier ways :D

there probably is but then its what was there to hand and cost nothing to do!

well at least you are using it, would have bought it off you to reshell my track day car if i realised you had sold the rest of it ..... but it was too much with the bits in it....good to see its getting a second life.....even as a measly 1.1, I would have thought you might have found something a little more appropriate like an old 1.9 from somewhere, cant be that much more guzzly than the rice pudding skin puller...

It was too much!? lol, sold the rear beam for £400, the cage for £375 so thats £775 plus lots of other parts I sold off, so really for £1000 complete it was a bargain, the carbon for the roof on its own was £250!

you never even talked money to me.

Agin with the 1.1 it was there and handy, only done 44k miles from new. plus as said I only work 1 mile for home so the 1.1 is more than enough, its better than a bike or moped!

welshpug

lazy b****rd :P

if you took a car apart for the engine, you'd have had hubs that'd save you doing the chop+weld ;)

Atari Boy

I have seen this car/van in the metal and I love it.

A sheep in wolves clothing.

Carl Chambers

lazy b****rd :P

if you took a car apart for the engine, you'd have had hubs that'd save you doing the chop+weld ;)

What? that would mean s*itty little brakes! plus the wheel bearings and discs were no good and the calipers siezed, where as all the stuff on the car was good so an hour chopping and welding was the easy option and they are perfectly straight, the car does 80mph no problem in the 1mile drive to work with no wobbles!

welshpug

no that would not mean small brakes, gti6 stuff fits, I cannot believe you didn't know that :lol:

Carl Chambers

no that would not mean small brakes, gti6 stuff fits, I cannot believe you didn't know that :lol:

sadly dont know everything! :P

dont see many small 205, all the ones I deal with are GTis or diesels.

still would have had to do the wheel bearings and that costs money! the welding and shalfs were free

Miles

As WP said, just a set of wheel bearings for £25.00 and off you go, Brakes are a direct fit,

Just need to panel the back qtr window's ;)

Batfink

vinyl wrapping the rear windows would be less hassle :D

Carl Chambers

As WP said, just a set of wheel bearings for £25.00 and off you go, Brakes are a direct fit,

Just need to panel the back qtr window's ;)

oh and the 1.1 outer joints were shot but I have learnt something today :)

thought about tinting the rear windows but again that cost money and no money needs to be spent on this, would rather spend it on other things.

yippeekayay

there probably is but then its what was there to hand and cost nothing to do!

It was too much!? lol, sold the rear beam for £400, the cage for £375 so thats £775 plus lots of other parts I sold off, so really for £1000 complete it was a bargain, the carbon for the roof on its own was £250!

you never even talked money to me.

Agin with the 1.1 it was there and handy, only done 44k miles from new. plus as said I only work 1 mile for home so the 1.1 is more than enough, its better than a bike or moped!

hey Carl never meant to insult. I knew you wanted strong money fot it rolling and I wanted it rolling. Even with the roof work it was a little strong and you parted it out and ended up with practically a free shell so fair play to you.

Pretty sure you wont keep it 1.1 in the long run and glad its serving a for you... PS is it legal to have the exhaust where it is mot wise??? No offense meant.

Carl Chambers

hey Carl never meant to insult. I knew you wanted strong money fot it rolling and I wanted it rolling. Even with the roof work it was a little strong and you parted it out and ended up with practically a free shell so fair play to you.

Pretty sure you wont keep it 1.1 in the long run and glad its serving a for you... PS is it legal to have the exhaust where it is mot wise??? No offense meant.

no offense taken just proving it was worth the money:)

It WILL stay 1.1 as loving the fact it uses vey little fuel, and as said there is no need to have anything bigger? it does 1 mile to work of which 3 quarters of the mile is 30 mph limit so why have anything bigger? I have plenty of other cars to use if I want to go out and go faster? hence why Im also not bothered that its only got 4 gears!

Cant see the exhaust being a problem mot wise? lorries have the exhaust along the front? kit cars have side exit ones, even the Merc has ones just behind the front wheels? its plenty quiet enough so cant se it being a problem?

so no offence taken :)

allye

All this for a 1mile commute? Walk?! :ph34r:

Carl Chambers

All this for a 1mile commute? Walk?! :ph34r:

:P too much like hard work!