• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MikeM

205 Xs - Unnecessary Winter Work!

MikeM

Evening all,

I am sure there are a few people in the same situation as me. The car doesn't really need much doing, I just like to create work for myself! I have owned this xs for 5 years now and have spent a lot of time and money on it.

A few winters ago I rebuilt the head and had a go at porting it. At the same time I fitted a Newman Tarmac rally/sprint cam along with a BBM vernier pulley. I was fairly chuffed with it and it went like stink for a 1360, or at least I thought it did. In the spring of 2011 I rebuilt the rear beam and fitted a set of twin 40 dellortos and CSC Marimitte exhaust, to add to the TI Motorsport 4-2-1 manifold. Since then I have replaced the gearbox (again) as the diff self destructed, but I made the mistake of fitting a 1.5 diesel gearbox. The gearbox is a bit long legged for the engine, but Its all I could lay my hands on at the time.

I have recently moved to Inverness and I have rented a house with a garage to keep the xs in. A couple of Sundays ago I popped into one of the local scrappy for a look around and I was determined to find something of use. I came across a 307 rapier with the TU5JP4 engine and BE4 box - the chap didn't want much for it, so I just had to go back the next day and get it out!

So I now have the above engine and gearbox in my garage and a dilemma on my hands! It just so happens that 2 weeks beforehand, I had bought a TU5 engine that has a ported head and a piper 285 cam and a Kent pulley, I also have a set of bike carbs and A flange to make an Inlet.

To many options! I am keen to get a bit more use out of my 1360, so I think the plan for the time-being is to take out the engine and tidy bits and pieces up over winter.

I also have a Graphite Gti with an XU10J2TE conversion that is almost complete - would like to finish this off over winter.

I also may have bought another Gti - A steel grey one with 309 running gear but no engine.

Here is the link to my Flickr page - Lots of photos of it on there.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61763927@N07/

What are your opinions on engine choice for the XS?

I will try and keep this up to date with my progress.

Cheers

MikeM

Spent some time in the garage this evening. Removed the Exhaust manifold along with the inlet & carbs. Made a start on cleaning the carbs, they were starting to look a bit rough. I have been using autosol and a toothbrush to clean the 'body' of the carbs, but not coming up as well as I had hoped.

Anybody got any suggestions on a better alternative?

I had managed to somehow bend the exhaust manifold, so I cut that and bent it back and welded it up again.

Also fitted a new rear wheel bearing and raised the rear beam up a bit, it was sitting too low at the back.

Hopefully have some time at the weekend to do some other bits and get some photos.

Cheers

chris205xs

Nice to see this thing still exists, I used to own it back in 2005/06, it only had 40k miles on when I bought it and was completely standard. A couple of friends had it after but not for a long period, my good mate at the time ended up trading it in for a brand new corsa :(

Daniel306

Your in inverness now? I live on the black isle, no more than 20 miles from you

MikeM

I bought it in February 2008. The chap I bought it from had bought it from an auction and used it for a bit. It must have had a front end bump at somepoint, the front wing were not genuine ones and the paint was poor on them. I replaced them with gen pug ones, but colour match isnt the best, going to get them re-done soon. Do you have any old history for it? or photos? Always nice to have a bit more history. When i bought it, it had been lowered and had the rallye wheels and a backbox. Apart from that, it was standard!

Yes I am in Inverness now, I know the black isle quite well. Pm me if you want to meet up some time, or need a hand with any parts.

Cheers

Edited by MikeM

MikeM

Removed the engine/gearbox last night, just going to stick with the TU3S. I spent quite a bit of dosh on it when I rebuilt the top end, so would be a shame to waste it and it goes well anyway! I am sure I will find a home for the other engines.

I have just ordered a new sump gasket and some other bits and pieces from eurocarparts. Going to go to machinemart and get an engine stand to make life a bit easier.

I have taken some pictures but I have now lost the link cable for the camera, will post them once I find it.

Cheers