• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matthewm

Mi16 Top End Noise

matthewm

Hi Gents, noticed a top end tapping on my MI16 during a recent event, can only be heard on tick-over, seems to disappear above 3k. Finished the event off and hasnt seemed to got any worse. 99% sure its from the top end (recently been drysumped so bloody hope its not the bottom!).

Have taken engine out and removed cams and lifters, all valve springs seem o.k. Going to strip and clean the hydraulic lifters, but debating taking the head off to get checked over - although with an event looming time is against my side. Any suggestions?

Thanks

welshpug

given it seems to go with revs, how long was it since an oil change and what oil were you using?

what oil pressures are you getting?

matthewm

10 litres of Comma Motorsport 5w50 put in when I fitted the dry sump at start of October, its done 2 road rally's since. Have used this oil for a few years so wouldn't of thought it'd be oil.

Out of interest, what would be the best oil to run in it?

matthewm

Sorry, pressure is around 50psi cold idle, 25psi warm. Think its around 40-50psi hot at 4k - have a mechanical gauge fitted.

welshpug

pressures seem rather low, given standard engine hits 6 bar at 4k!

matthewm

I'll whack that up abit then! Just looked at my gauge as my memory is on where the pin was rather than the numbers - usually 60psi at 4k hot, still bit low. On initial start up its around 85psi for first few mins, hot idle 25-30.