• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
James504

Machining Your Own Xu9 Liners

James504

I'm in the process of putting my Mi16 back together. My liners have wear in the usual spots, lips and thrust side wear. Im guessing new liners will be around 350-400 pounds. Has anyone ever had success in machining their own liners? I have a family member who has been a machinist for 55 years, I know its well within his capabilities. Does anyone have any suggestions of materials to use, or experience they can share? Still debating the cost vs risk of using prototype parts. Cheers, James.

petert

Because the liners aren't round, they need to be clamped in a fixture to simulate the compressive load from the head bolts. Otherwise they will turn out oval. I send mine to Baker Precision Engines at Molong, NSW who have the correct fixture. My best advice is buy 83.50mm pistons, bore the standard liners and fit bushed 8V rods in order to control the rod clearance. Most forged Mi16 pistons aren't machined correctly for piston controlled rod clearance.

James504

Peter, I was meaning machine new liners from scratch. I left too much room for interpretation sorry. I had started to draw up dimensions for a fixing plate to hone the liners in situ to 83.5 and fit omega pistons, which don't have the centering issue. But have goten no further since toying with the idea of machining new liners. I already have a cometic .027" headgasket, so not really wanting to backflip and get pistons.

petert

You can buy hollow cast iron liner blanks. Try Interalloy or Duncan Foster, Blacktown. Your family member must have some very special machinery.

Miles

You can buy new Mi liners quite cheap here in the UK, 8v sets are not even worth honing to give you a example, Just the shipping is the expensive bit

James504

Thanks Peter will call Interalloy monday, a hollow blank will reduce machine time considerably. Miles do you know of a good source? Can Pm me if you prefer. I'm not worried if I have to use 8v liners.