• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
farmer

Upgrading Oil Pump Spring

farmer

Thinking of changing the spring when my next service is due is it worth upgrading or not done a search and thers conflicting advice on the issue

its a standard 1.9 8 v lump

Edited by farmer

pug_ham

It depends, the current normal ebay listings are for the "uprated 6 bar oil pump spring" as fitted to the xu10 is the same length as the original spring on the 1.6 or 1.9 engine oil pump but people do report a slight increase with these fitted so if the spring tension is different I can't say.

The spring for the XU10 from Peugeot is 1157.11 & under £3.

The proper PTS group n spring is about 1" longer than the spring I took out of my pump when I fitted it & that definitely gave an increase in oil pressure, at cold start it was off the top of the scale. :)

g

Ryan

Depends how you use the car. The spring only controls the maximum pressure, so it's basically only cold idle and high revs that are affected. It won't improve the oil pressure at hot idle, nor make it rise faster with revs. If you use the car on track or at high revs a lot then sure, but for normal road use it's probably not worth the hassle - unless you already have the sump off.

• Like 1

farmer

ok thanks guys standard it is then

joris_andriesse

Take an xu10 (gti6) spring, its the same as the uprated spring. For a little bit extra pressure, put 1 or 2 washers under the spring. Be carefull, dont over do that. We did that with my engine the first time and as a result of that the rubber ring of the oil filter got pressed out and we got ourselfs a nice fountain of oil under the bonnet.

timstemi16

Just make sure you dont put the peugeot 6bar cup and spring in a reconditioned pump.

I did this on my old engine and due to machoningvthe internals the valve didnt even open and blew the oil filter off.

farmer

Just make sure you dont put the peugeot 6bar cup and spring in a reconditioned pump.

I did this on my old engine and due to machoningvthe internals the valve didnt even open and blew the oil filter off.

Christ i would always go brand new O.E on the oil pump though