• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Karl

1.6 Box With 4.1 Final Drive ?

Karl

hi there

in my prolonged search for a gearbox i have been presented with an opportunity to purchase a recon be1 1.6 gearbox, with a final drive of 4.1

i dont know how this will be, what will the ratios and top end be like i dont understand gear ratios and stuff lol

Anthony

1.6 GTi gearboxes have a 4.06 final drive as standard, so I'm assuming that's what you've been offered.

If you do a search there's a gear ratio calculator/spreadsheet on here that'll give all the information that you need.

Karl

ok thanks anthony now i know what im dealing with id thought hed swapped the final drive for an mi one or something jhaha :blush:

pip470

I run a 1.6 with a 4.43 final drive. Not very good on the road but awesome for acceleration. 125 is the top speed with a 7800 rev limit. 70 mph although i cant remember the exact rpm was uncomfortable on long journeys.

Anthony

ok thanks anthony now i know what im dealing with id thought hed swapped the final drive for an mi one or something jhaha :blush:

Mi16 uses a 4.4 final drive, as per pip470's gearbox above.

The higher the final drive number, the shorter the gearing. As said, find the gearing spreadsheet and it'll reveal all.

• Like 1

pug_ham
If you do a search there's a gear ratio calculator/spreadsheet on here that'll give all the information that you need.

There are quite a few posted around on here, I've got at least five!

one here & another one here

There is also a topic with a couple of links in http://forum.205gtid...pic=113879]

g

• Like 1

cybernck

Does the speedo drive have to be changed when the final drive is changed, to remain accurate?

If it's driven by a driveshaft then I guess not, but it's been a while since I've had a working speedo :lol:.

pug_ham
Does the speedo drive have to be changed when the final drive is changed, to remain accurate?

If it's driven by a driveshaft then I guess not, but it's been a while since I've had a working speedo :lol:.

To get it as close to possible when swapping gearboxes between different models of car yes.

The speedo drive is driven off the diff, the plastic cog which the driveshaft slides through has a notch which locates into the side of the diff as seen in the picture of a Quaife diff from the website article;

post-71-0-62562800-1352731890.jpg

Using the standard Xsara VTS speedo drives on a 205 will give an approx 3.36% so your speedo will over read slightly.

g