• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugpete1108

Undertaking The Xu7/gti6 Hybrid Next Week

pugpete1108

im at the stage now where i have the garage back and can now start building up the xu7 bottom ended xu10j4rs headed engine.

few things i need to know for sure:

headbolts? do i use the xu7 ones?

headgasket, do i use the xu7 one?

oil/water pump? which one?

cambelt? which one?

im using a vts box not sure on the flywheel setup yet until i compare ( i am biased towards anything that will fit my mi16 clutch as its new)

i think ive asked before but is there any mods/considerations i need when putting the head on the bottem end?

how do i go about timing it? or is it a case of lining up all the holes and popping on the belt? (im sure wp mentioned something about timing using the adjustable pulleys?)

cheers

Anthony

Use XU7JP4 headbolts, headgasket, waterpump and cambelt.

It should as far as I know time up on the standard timing holes (use the GTi-6 pulleys), although you need to keep in mind that the bottom pulley may have slipped.

You'll need to use a GTi-6 or Mi16 flywheel if you want to use an Mi16 clutch, as the XU7 flywheel is for a 200mm clutch (ie standard 205 GTi)

pugpete1108

ok cool cheers, will probably keep the gti6 fly then as the clutch is new.

is the xu7 bottom pulley the same as the xu10j4rs one? saying that the xu7 one should be fine as the engine was running sweet when i took it out of my 306.

Anthony

The pulley is the same or at least interchangeable AFAIK - Servicebox will confirm.

The engine will run fine even with a slipped pulley, so you need to confirm it's OK before using it to time up the engine - the problem is that the inner and outer sections are joined by bonded rubber, which eventually breaks down and slips, meaning that the outer section (with the timing pin hole) is no longer correctly aligned to the inner part (bolted to the crank) and hence the cam timing will be out with potentially disasterous consequences.

pugpete1108

der, oh yeah its only for the ancillaries not the timing ha ha :blush:

i'll check all the holes line up before removing the belt.

Anthony

If they all line up on the old engine then it should be fine.

Often, there's a mark on the inner and outer sections of the pulley that should be in alignment to show that it hasn't slipped, but unfortunately, this isn't present on all pulleys. Worth looking to see if it's present and confirming that the marks are in alignment and that the rubber between the inner and outer isn't excessively cracked and perished.

welshpug

70 degrees! is the angle from the hole to the woodruff slot :)

• Like 1

calvinhorse

Any wise words on valve clearance? Are the 1.8 pistons pocketed?

welshpug

They are pocketed, however I have never measured them but they look much like the XU10 ones, and the gasket is the same thickness IIRC, so you still have to be pretty careful.

pugpete1108

so you still have to be pretty careful.

about???? getting the timing right??

205Mi16Mick

I thought this pic might be relevant here. Two used harmonic balancer pulleys and a new one (in the centre.) The woodruff key slots all point up.

One of these cost us a head. :blink:

post-22565-0-17202500-1351865008_thumb.jpg

calvinhorse

Pugpete, how's it going? Any problems?

pugpete1108

only just got the gti6 engine out today, the xu7 was out and stripped down ready for a clean and paint the other day

i'll let you know when i start putting it back together

Jemehan

If you need a second opinion on anything pete, i am willing to have a look, drop us a message or something...

pug_ham

Worst case scenario for setting the timing, use an old 8v crank pulley & you can't get it wrong.

g

• Like 1

pugpete1108

well i have it all apart here ready for cleaning and painting,all looks good so far

lots of mayo in the xu10 head :blink: hoping its not from the head but the bottom end.

gonna give it a good degrease and then chuck it in the dishwasher complete (minus the valve covers and thermostat housing,that safe?) dont tell the wife........

only concern so far is the xu10 cam pulleys are not adjustable? this normal?

post-7077-0-67396200-1353269430_thumb.jpg

oh and all the holes lined up perfectly on the xu7 and the pulley looks to be in very good condition so no worries there

Edited by pugpete1108

welshpug

they are adjustable :)

I wouldn't put the buckets and cams in the dishwasher btw, just the casting.

Edited by welshpug

pugpete1108

How are they adjustable?

When the head was fitted to the xu10 the belt didn't quite fit properly and I didn't really think anything of it. I had to move the exhaust pulley slightly to get the teeth to line up.

welshpug

loosen the centre bolt, and you'll find that the outer section will move a few degrees.

pugpete1108

Oh right, Jesus I'm confused ha

How do you know when the actual cam is in the right position or will it just be 'right'

When fitted before it seemed the exhaust cam was under tension( against the valve spring) when I tried fitting the belt.

welshpug

You should fit the belt with the cams pinned but the bolts loose, the pins set the cam timing, when the belt is correctly tensioned you then hold the outer sections with a pulley holding tool and tighten the bolts.

of course, this only applies if you have the matching cams and cam pulley hubs!

pugpete1108

ah ha it all becomes clear now that ive had a proper look at the pulleys :blush:

the timing holes are not connected to the outer section ( it thought they were all one piece hence the confusion)

so what you just said makes total sense now cheers.

god the gti6 engine must have been out all this time then (at least half a tooth :o ) no damage though which was lucky

youre a legend mate.

309jazzpanda

how's this getting on? what mangement are you using?