• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
205Mi16Mick

205 Si To Mi16 Project

205Mi16Mick

Hi All,

After discovering that my purple gti has actually had a prang on the front lower left (the metal under the battery box has started to crumple and the metal frame piece behind the bumper sits on an angle) I have decided to swap the subframes from it into a really really nice 205 si shell I have recently aquired. So the plan is to swap the front gti subframe across, keeping the si hubs so that I can whack 306 brakes on it, and also to swap the rear subframe, first replacing the trailing arms with 306 ones so to upgrade the rear to disc brakes.

The powerplant will be an mi16, as was the plan for the gti. A pretty much a stock standard engine coupled to a 1.9 gearbox with a 4.43 cwp.

The interior I can't swap too much of because the gti is grey and the si is black. I'll probably swap the seats and the red carpet across. And I have a guttman body kit (minus the bumper - any ideas? ) for it to relieve the granny car look a bit. :)

So any advice on what to look out for in this conversion? It seems pretty straightforward to me, but my knowledge is limited to the reading I have done on places such as this. The one drawback I have noticed is that I'll only be able to put 15"s on it as the body won't take anything larger.

Regards,

Michael

205Mi16Mick

Hi All,

An update at last. :) Just got the engine/transmission in today. It is an XU10J4R (RFV) with the gearbox described in the post above.

The gearbox did not want to mate up to the engine, we had to pretty much pull it together with the bolts that hold it to the block. Does that seem normal? It seems to spin alright.

Here's a few pics:

post-22565-0-97902500-1364918576_thumb.jpg

post-22565-0-75662500-1364918580_thumb.jpg

post-22565-0-41211500-1364918215_thumb.jpg

calvinhorse

Does the clutch arm feel like it's engaging and disengaging the clutch? Does the engine turn over without nasty noises from the clutch end?

205Mi16Mick

Sort of. It's very stiff and it doesn't feel like it is overcentering if you see what I mean. I.e. progressively getting stiffer then getting softer. There are no wierd noises coming out of the bellhousing.