• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pp205

Golf R32 (Mk 4)

EZ Tutty

But theres still a difference no matter how small, so my point stands end of.... the benefits of SMG was not the point of my original post anyway... it was about the R32

Edited by EZ Tutty

CosKev

My bruv in law owns the ex AMD Tuning mk4 R32 in blue.

Its got cams,re-map and Milltek manifolds and system,sounds really nice:)

Could be for sale soon ;)

Tom Fenton

To the O.P.,

I say if you like the R32 then go for it and get one. I have had and enjoyed plenty of cars that no doubt someone would rubbish, and I've enjoyed every one of them in some way or another. No matter what you do in life there is always someone who has done it faster/cheaper/better/10 years ago etc, even more so on the internet.

• Like 4

kyepan

There is a chap locally called "THE TIG" who does alu welding on the side for people. He told me about two golf mk3's with v6 engines in, one supercharged and one turbo charged, he said they were stupidly quick, very stupidly quick, which i can quite imagine.

MiniGibbo

I've always been baffled by the mk3's having a single head on a v block....

I know it's barely a v and borderline straight six but still baffles the mind...

kyepan

I've always been baffled by the mk3's having a single head on a v block....

I know it's barely a v and borderline straight six but still baffles the mind...

looks like a very clever design with the following advantages..

• Shorter block despite six cylinders
  • Single inlet manifold on one side
  • Single exhaust manifold on the other.

aids packaging and compactness.

v clever

• Like 1

MiniGibbo

I read online ages ago the angle of lean that determines whether an engine is a v, flat and so on and the vr6 is bang on the limit iirc

I remember when I was 17 and saw my mates vr6 for the first time I was like whhaaaa haha

Edited by MiniGibbo

EZ Tutty

It's a very odd looking engine especially when it's in bits... wedge topped pistons, valves of various lengths (due to only 2 cams running all 24valves through a series of rockers), and a really busy crank (compared to traditional V engines) and the timing chain is on the gearbox end of the engine.

the R32 also has a fancy variable intake manifold based on a shrick design which uses a vacuum operated roller to vary the length/volume of the plenum chamber to improve low end torque and top end power.

From the various articles/research I've read I think some of the ways it gets it's advantages are also there weaknesses

The un-equal length intake and exhaust ports in the head aren't ideal

and i know heat transfer on the longer rear intake ports running alongside the combustion chambers of the front cylinders doesn't help

Overall it appears to be a very strong engine, especially in the mk4/mk5's as a few of the original VR6 issues have been solved/improved (timing chain guides, main coolant pipe cracking (google vr6 crack pipe).

Edited by EZ Tutty
  • Like 1

MiniGibbo

Timing chain on the gearbox end is a new one... They must be expensive to service.

welshpug

no its not, many manufacturers have done that for years, vw being one, most of their 16v engines have it, as do pug/citroen/ford diesel 16v's.

makes the main belt shorter.

MiniGibbo

Never knew that...

laldy875

What about a Honda Integra Type R??

MrG

Go buy one I reckon, they do look good.

But get the best you can afford though.