• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jerseypug

Gti6 Tapper,

jerseypug

Just stripped the engine and found 2 bent valves, what I want to do is get hold of 2 inlet valves, I have a water pump, head gasket, stem seals, the belt had recently been replaced hence the bent valves so I will replace the belt but leave the tensioner. I don't want to spend much money on it as I have no idea what other problems it might have. I want to get it back together, make sure everything is ok then rebuild it properly after running it for a good few miles. Does anyone have 2 inlet valves, decent clutch, the plastic thermostat housing?

welshpug

That lot wont cost that much new, plastic bit from a dealer, valves from any trw supplier, clutch from motorfactor, which type are you using? std pull type or more commonly used push type off bx/mi16

Josh_Quant

Ain't the headbolts stretch bolts?

welshpug

no, though you should measure them if you do intend to re-use.

cost less than £20 though.

jerseypug

Just cleaned the head up and noticed the corrosion is quite bad on the waterways, I would post a picture if I knew how to. I have not come across this before but think I might have to get it welded unless anyone knows any better with something like chemical metal or the availability of second hand heads?

jerseypug

got a replacement head in the end (thanks phill), the corrosion was too bad on mine. received the new head gasket set, bolts, belt, clutch etc but just seen that you no longer get stem seals with the head set that i got. any idea where i can get some over the xmas period as the place over here i order them through are closed for now

i need 16 stem seals 095638

thermostat and seal 133839 134048

water outlet 1336j4

any numbers of somewhere i can order them from would be handy

thanks

• Like 1

welshpug

have you got local motorfactors? many audi and volvo engines use the same Stem seals, as did the TU5J4 though under a different part number, they are the same spec.

thermostat, any motorfactor will have that on the shelf.

jerseypug

managed to get all the parts. euro car parts sent the stem seals, he asked if they were green or black on the car so i said green and he has sent black. they look the same and feel tight on the valve stem, has anyone else used black ones on a 6 engine?

the part number on the packet is 369 33 0220

i dont want to fit them if they are the wrong ones. they look the same apart from the colour

welshpug

got the manufacturer part number rather than the ECP number?

jerseypug

i think it should be 095638 which didnt mean anything to the guy at ecp

jerseypug

found out there are green and black ones the same size so will be ok. now i find that the cams have adjustable pulleys on and replacing the cam seals has thrown them out of adjustment. cant find anything in the haynes manual about setting them up, searched here and cant find any information. the last gti6 i did was an earlier type that you could take the pulleys off without changing the adjustment on them,

dcc

be careful with timing it back up. almost certainly the bottom pulley would have 'slipped' slightly meaning it WONT time up properly. you can check by matching the woodruf cutout with an 8v item, and make sure timing hole is right place. If not then best thing to do is use either a new gti6 lower pulley/ alloy lower pulley or use a 8v pulley to time the engine up, then refit the gti6 pulley.

welshpug

you need to set the pulleys every time you fit a new belt.

jerseypug

any idea on where i can find the settings?

welshpug

Haynes manual.

jerseypug

been right through it and cant find anything about adjustable pulleys

petert

Best just slap it together then and hope for the best.

If it were mine, I'd centre the pulley inners and then inset the timing pins as a starting point.

jerseypug

there has got to be a lobe height at tdc or something, if like welshpug said the pulleys need to be reset every time a belt is changed then there must be an idea of how to set them up correctly somewhere. if peugeot have gone to the trouble and expense of fitting the adjustable cam pulleys as standard, surely they wouldn't expect the car to have to go on a rolling road each time the timing belt was changed

jerseypug

All is now clear, cheers phill. The pins hold the cams in the right place and the pullieys rotate to help tension the belt relative to the crank being in the right place. (Think that's it)