• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Harrisrallying

Be3 Crown Wheel And Pinion

Harrisrallying

Hi hope someone can help I have a 1.6 gti with a be3 gearbox I want to get a final drive as close to 5.1 does anyone know wat I can get the crown wheel and pinion out of to hopefully get this

Cheers

brumster

Citroen Berlingo/Peugeot Expert van, if you can find the right one... non-turbo diesel models before about 2001, if I remember correctly? You're after the 15x76 final drive (5.06:1)... bit rare I think ;)

edit: there was also a 4.9 (15x74) in the XUD9. The 5.1 shows up on the "1580 SPI" model (1600 petrol?) and DW8 model, according to my list, so maybe not a diesel at all...

Edited by brumster

Miles

You need to watch out, the 4.8 I have is different to the early BE3's, I had to use a BE4 gearset on mine

cybernck

Sorry to jump on your topic, just want to ask if BE1 CW&P is of any use in a BE3 box?

Miles

Upto around 1997 yes the CWP's are all the same

cybernck

Great, thanks.

Harrisrallying

Thanks for the response so I'm thinking take a chance on a berlingo box and see whats in there im guessing there is no way of finding out the ratio without striping the diff cover off ?

brumster

You need to watch out, the 4.8 I have is different to the early BE3's, I had to use a BE4 gearset on mine

Oh yes, I'm not talking about PTS/Quaife 4.8's (16x47) here.... quite agree.

Edited by brumster

brumster

Thanks for the response so I'm thinking take a chance on a berlingo box and see whats in there im guessing there is no way of finding out the ratio without striping the diff cover off ?

I believe not, no, I don't think the gearbox codes go to that level of detail. The chassis number possibly helps identify it but I don't know how to decode, sorry.

welshpug

Yeah, find the code and look on servicebox.

brumster

Servicebox lists the 15x74 (4.9:1) against the 1.8D model (parts 3103A6 and 2316K2). Lists prices but suggests alternatives; if I recall last time I chased this a few years ago, one of the items (either the crown wheel or the pinion) was no longer available - forget which one.

But it does re-enforce the idea that if you can find a naturally aspirated 1.8 diesel van, you're in with a good chance :)

welshpug

1.6 307's have a 4.9, same one mentioned above.

EW10 308's have 5.06, as do 100hp 8v picasso's.

if you want to go really really fast, 207 has a 3.3 FD :lol:

looking at the prices, you're not far short of a bacci romano f/d for a be3/6! :blink: and more than their 5 speed ones.

Edited by welshpug

brumster

if you want to go really really fast, 207 has a 3.3 FD :lol:

That's Baz's favourite diff. He fits that to all his cars ;)

Baz
:lol:

welshpug

:lol:

from memory that came from the eco model they have done, 10mm lowered, no spoilers, smooth body, eco shift light, and long gears.

Harrisrallying

Will all these fit into a be3 box

brumster

Mine are all out of BE3/4 or 3/5 boxes, yes. I'm guessing the others are too, welshpug knows his stuff and I don't think he'd suggest them if not.

Miles

You need to watch the year as I have said above, The cross over date isn;t that clear on them

welshpug

afaik its just the end bearing that was changed on the pinion shaft, the shaft itself is the same diameter, this affects the casing more than the shafts you use.

I'll ask Garry, the Rallydriver I service for, he's had half a dozen BE4 boxes apart recently in building one for his Saxo.

Edited by welshpug