• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mansfield205

My 205 Gti 1.6

Mansfield205

This is my Pug 205 GTi 1.6, bought it yesterday and picking it up in the week. Its going into a garage for a little while and there's a few things I have planned for it. It won't be my daily drive, mainly just used for special occasions and shows, because il be using my Peugeot 106 as my daily.

My plan is to keep it fully standard, and try and bring it as close to factory condition as I can.

Heres a few pictures of it I have:

205gti.jpg

205gti2v.jpg

205gtiinterior.jpg

205gtienginebay2.jpg

Its done just over 90k miles, with full service history and sailed through MOT.

I was just wondering if I had it fully resprayed in its original colour, would it decrease the value of the car because it isnt the original factory paint? Also, is the same leather available for the front 2 seats, because they need redoing.

All in all, im chuffed with it, and can't wait to get started. I will post updates as they come, let me know what you think.

• Like 1

Tom Fenton

It looks a nice car already from the pictures, 205's aren't at the stage yet where original or non-original paint makes any difference. It looks to be a very late Phase 1.5 car, as it has the grey interior/dash/bumpers etc, and orange indicators, but is H registration.

Alan77

Love the dark grey ones, i'd have that colour if i didn't have my white one. Good luck with it!...

Mansfield205

Thanks, I might just have parts of the body sorted. Theres a few scratches that T-Cut wouldnt get out and the roof has clouding on it. Theres also a tiny bit of rust coming through on one side, I wanna get that sorted and any other rust I come across.

pugdamo

If you wanted to make it back to factory spec you will need to find a set of standard seats because as far as i know 1.6 GTI's never had leather,im sure they are the seats out of a 1.9 miami blue GTI

Looks a very nice car though

BlueBolt

out of a 1.9 miami blue GTI

1.6 and 1.9 GTI Miami and Sorrento (apologies of spelt wrong) came with the grey leather, grey carpets and power steering.

Well, the ltd edt ones did before the colours became part of the main list.

Mansfield205

What are the standard seats for mine? I think im gonna keep the current seats, really like them and I think they suit the rest of the interior a lot.

BlueBolt

I love my leather too. Mines not in the greatest condition, but my god is it comfortable!!!

pugdamo

Only mentioned it because you said you was going to try and make it original then said about re trimming your seats,i would keep it aswell,Iv got full leather in mine,looks great but its too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer but i wouldnt change it because it just looks so good B)

Mansfield205

Only mentioned it because you said you was going to try and make it original then said about re trimming your seats,i would keep it aswell,Iv got full leather in mine,looks great but its too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer but i wouldnt change it because it just looks so good B)

Cheers for letting me know. They look good and are very comfortable :D the main things I want to look factory new is the bodywork and the engine bay.

pugdamo

Make sure you keep updating with lots of pictures,we all :wub: pictures

supersilja

Looks nice, i think it no needs repaint.

What does it means J, H or other plates on cars?

Tom Fenton

In the UK the registration number is given to the car when new, and then stays with the car (unless a private reg is fitted).

All 205's will have the code of number which is one letter, followed by either 2 or 3 numbers, followed by 3 letters.

So A 12 ABC or A 123 ABC.

The leading single letter relates to the year in which the car was first registered, the system here used to run from the 1st of August each year, so a new letter each year on August the 1st. As a young lad I used to like spotting the first of the "new" letters each year.

So for example G "reg" was from the 1st August 1989 to 31st July 1990. H reg Aug 1990 to July 1991. J reg Aug 1991 to July 1992. K reg Aug 1992 to July 1993. L reg Aug 1993 to Jul 1994.

supersilja

But plate can be used for another car, younger or older too?

Tom Fenton

No not really, you can make a car look older than it is by transferring a number plate over, but you cannot make a car look newer than it is in the same manner.

supersilja

I saw some post, that guy bought 205 with G plates with, and ex owner wanted to keep that plates for another car.

That i can't understand

Mansfield205

Picking the car up today after work, going to be a long day!

I was just wondering what I should do to look after the car while its stored away in a garage for a while. I'm going to visit it at least once a week, cleaning it up and that.

I've looked into car covers but I've heard so many different opinions about them that I'm not sure what to do. Anyone know any covers they'd recommend? I don't mind too much about price as long as it is worth the money.

Just want to make sure I can keep the car in good condition while its not being driven. Cheers

sensualt101

that looks a sound project car and wouldnt take much to get it back to completely standard! welcome to the life long ilness we call 205 gti ownership! :)

Leon

I saw some post, that guy bought 205 with G plates with, and ex owner wanted to keep that plates for another car.

That i can't understand

You can do this if the registration is significant to you but it isn't the normal thing to do :)

chrisj21

Looks like a really nice example, enjoy getting her back to original condition.

Mansfield205

Thanks for all your comments, any tips on how to keep it in good condition while its stored?

More pictures will be posted in the next couple of days.

Mansfield205

Here's a few pictures from today after giving it a clean. First time i've ever polished a car, and I think it turned out quite well :D

clean01.jpg

clean02.jpg

clean03.jpg

clean04.jpg

clean05.jpg

The wheel dressing was still drying on them pictures, but didnt have time to wait because it started to rain and wanted to get it back in the garage.

Not too much happening with it yet, mainly because I'm saving up, but i've got plenty of plans for the not too distant future. The main one being bringing the bodywork up to a good standard. There's a few dints (mainly the one in the bonnet which shows up badly when polished), theres a bit of paintwork on one side that needs sorting out and the paint is a mess on the roof.

Interior will be having a really good clean in the week, and a bit more to the exterior if the weather holds out! I'll also be doing the engine bay, but its in a pretty good, clean condition already.

Edited by Mansfield205

MiniGibbo

Looks really smart..!

• Like 1

Mansfield205

The weather has been terrible recently and i've been really busy at work, so not a lot of time has been spent on the 205 recently. Went down to it Saturday for half an hour (its a pain because the garage its stored in is about 25 minutes away from where i live :( ) and i've got a list of things that need doing.

The main things are:

-Fog lights need replacing, been looking at these - http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2a25ac4038 are they any good, i want as close to factory standard as possible?

-Bit of rust under the back seats, only minor and nothing a bit of attention won't get rid of.

-The passenger side mirror adjuster is busted, not too sure how to fix it, its loose and just hanging there.

-It looks like there a bit of rust appearing under the paint on the side of the car, that needs sorting.

-The fuses in the glove box have fell out of place, and are just hanging. I cant seem to get them to slot back up and are only held up by the glove box when its shut. Really got on my nerves, but il figure something out.

Other than that, i'm taking it down to a mate's who does body work, and he's taking out the rather big dint on the bonnet and helping get rid of some rust. He's also going to respray the cracked paint, which is mainly on the roof.

If it stops raining for the first time in about 5 days im going to go to it tomorrow and rip the boot stuff out under the plastic lining. Its cracked and it crumbles in your hands when you touch it. Any advise about what i should do? What shall i replace it with?

Any advise on the above list would be appreciated, i'm still learning a lot and need all the help i can get :P .

Edited by Mansfield205

Zacky-94

With the fuse box there should be a little catch

Push the fuse box up and pull the catch towards u and should slot into position

Enless its missing ...