• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Pugnut

Degreasing Engine Components

Pugnut

as title , whats best for getting all that black/brown film and crud off the inners of an engine?

Guest Ben xs

Oven cleaner?

Just dont leave it on alloy to long, its powerful stuff!

Snowman

You could try diesel or Kerosene and a stiff brush. But diesel then needs to be cleaned off!

Petrol will do that though.

Chris

Guest nzpug

i dunno if this helps, but a 'brake disc cleaner' product works magic for me. dont think its worth mentioning that its sold by PartsMaster (an automotive store in New Zealand).

dunno about oven cleaner, you'd have to be very careful around plastics etc.

Guest judgefudge

Have a look around for a trade automotive paint suppliers, these places are often willing to serve the public if you know what to ask for... Or tell them "big Dave from NotSoAce motors" sent you for a tin of de-greaser and to stick it on their bill... you may get thrown out if you use this method though :D

Last tin of degreaser I bought cost about 5quid for 5litres, better than paying £4 for a poxy tin of Gunk, lasts ages too.... pour some in a bucket, soak your bits ;) scrub with a cut down paint brush and hey presto.... jobs a good un.

Mattsav

Mr Muscle Oven Cleaner . Dont use it on aluminuim parts though as its corrosive!

Guest Jono

Jizer's pretty good, but requires washing off with water. Brake cleaner is also a good alternative, and totally evaporates leaving no residue.

J.

Gary

What about GUNK?i know it cleans the outside of the engine nicely.

Guest 1 FAT PUG

you can get the proper engine degreaser from most car shops, i fill a squirty bottle up first and blast over all the engine and leave it to soak in, then i get some in a tub with a stiff brush and give it a good scrubbing then leave that to soak in then use the squirty bottle again and leave for a couple of mins then hose it down ;) results = 1 clean engine :D

Guest mrswampy

the aircraft grade degeaser my dad gets fro works cleans everything off.

aint got a clue who mkaes it but then again he can get me it when i need it.

brings everythig up nice and clean.

jonah

Haven't tried this yet but I reckon PlusGas would work pretty well. It's a penetrating oil for releasing rusty nuts. I spilt some on my drive the other day, and a few days later it had dissolved the tarmac!!! :D:) Literally, the tar has turned to goo. If that stuff won't clean engine innards then nothing will!

Guest wes

Anyone know how to get oil off of block paving by any chance??? My dad i s not too impressed with the mess i made after a HG and suspension change.

Edited by wes

Anthony

Gunk Driveway Cleaner should do the trick.

Just for Christ's sake don't use it on tarmac driveways... :)

Pugnut

cheers guys . i tried jizer . an overnight soak and a good brushing did the trick and just left a gold stain on the crankcase which i guess only acid could remove .

i decoked my head with mr muscle and its awesome . just use in a well ventilated area and wear gloves !! its pretty violent stuff .

Guest macatac14
as title , whats best for getting all that black/brown film and crud off the inners of an engine?

Parrafin,great for cleaning engines, internal and external.

Mattsav
cheers guys . i tried jizer . an overnight soak and a good brushing did the trick and just left a gold stain on the crankcase which i guess only acid could remove .

i decoked my head with mr muscle and its awesome . just use in a well ventilated area and wear gloves !! its pretty violent stuff .

Make sure you dont get Mr Muscle on any aluminuim bearing surfaces (including the cam bearings) It causes the Aluminuim to oxidise and "grow" in size which means the cam will be very tight!!

And yes its very very good ;)

Ahl

I used Mr Muscle on my valves for 1/2 an hour and the coke came off dead easily. Maybe it was a bad idea though! But they went back in alright.

Sign in to follow this