• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
calvinhorse

Your Thoughts On Peugeot 406S

calvinhorse

Hello,

For various reasons I'm thinking of buying a Peugeot 406, preferably a diesel estate.

It'll mainly be for travelling to work, 30 mile round trip with a mix of windy roads and occasionally towing my track car.

Has anybody got any experience with them?

Do they tow well?

What parts are prone to breaking? Any common faults?

Anything I should look out for?

Which is the model to go for?

Are they heavy on tyres?

Rust areas?

Im not really interested in alternatives as I like peugeots and the 406 seams to tick all the boxes! (yes I know I'm sad..)

Cheers :)

welshpug

which diesel are you looking at?

1.9 struggles a little especially towing as its not particularly light, though if you chop the cat and centre box and wind the turbo and pump a bit they are better, much better, blank the egr too.

tow ok, Miles has used one for years, with a V6 :lol:

suspension bushes and balljoints need to be kept an eye on, multi link rear suspension can wear edges of tyres if not checked.

not particularly heavy on tyres, depends how you drive more than anything.

they don't rust badly at all unless damaged.

D9 electricals can cause havoc due to Multiplex, D8 is non multiplex.

cRaig

I had the 2.2 HDi for a year or so. Nice tow car, apart from when it was in limp mode!! (due to the DPF). Once we removed that it was fine. I towed a big trailer with an MG TF from Bath to the north of Scotland and it was nice and comfortable.

omega

2.1 d8 is the best to go for but wont run on veg unless you swap the pump

sometimes springs break in the middle of the night for no reason

strut brace sharpens up the front end

check that all electrics work

Henry Yorke

90 HDI is the engine choice of taxi drivers as it is pretty robust, but not sure how this would fair for towing a trailer

Miles

Rear wheel bearings if towing, I used around 4 sets in 300k, bush's thou where fine, Just did the front P bush's once with OE one's and the rear drop link bar which controls the rear camber.

Going from a 405 TD which was crap at towing due to waiting for the thing to come on boost, Huge petrol all the way

TurboSam

I had a 406 estate with the 2.0 16v petrol engine.. brilliant car. Exceptionally reliable and handled well for a big old bus (lots of body roll, but turn in sharply and you could induce some oversteer)!

I used mine for towing my autograss Mini, which it did well; but 406 estates only have a braked towing limit of 1500kg - so bearing in mind a decent car trailer weighs approx 500kg, it can be quite easy to go overweight.

Mine was just a standard LX, but I really wanted the HDi SE - my favourite trim level.

calvinhorse

Thankyou very much for all the replies! All seams very positive.

I'm mainly looking at the 110bhp diesel.

What year are the D9s? I'm not fancying the multiplex wiring.

Baz

I've had a couple of saloons, EW10 & XU10T, comfy & capable enough but i just found them soo boring despite the fact that they will LOOS! :lol:

Might be worth looking at the tow weights of them etc as i can't see them being able to tow much once you have a fair sized trailer.

calvinhorse

That's one of the main reasons I want one, 1500kg towing on the entire range of saloons and estates. (coupe is 1300kg iirc)

My 309 is around 830kg so that leaves around 650-750kg for a trailer which is plenty :)

BlueBolt

coupe is 1300kg iirc

Depends on the engine, the v6 is more like 1700Kg. It is a big heavy car the coupe, don't know about the saloon/estates though

welshpug

Depends on the engine, the v6 is more like 1700Kg. It is a big heavy car the coupe, don't know about the saloon/estates though

nowhere near! 1450kg.

• Like 1

Miles

I had 3 1/2 tons on mine, Pulled it fine thou this was off road,

BlueBolt

nowhere near! 1450kg.

I eat my words, just looked on carfolio.com and the 2.0 coupe was 1350Kg and v6 coupe was 1450Kg... Still a bit heavy barge of a car... Still like them!!

Tom Fenton

Buy a diesel A4. That is all.

• Like 1

calvinhorse

Bit pricey Tom, plus the low spec cheaper ones generally tow alot less than 1500kg

deathbringer929

Buy a diesel A4. That is all.

can't rolling road them though.......

BlueBolt

can't rolling road them though.......

With or without the trailer??