• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Anton green

How Easily Can Individual Ratios Be Swapped In The Gti6 Box?

Anton green

How easily can individual ratios be swapped out in the gti6 box for other gears? somebody must have done it!

Are there actually many options for gears which will fit it, I seem to remember not??

Liquid_106

Don't think so I'm afraid:

The gears cannot be swapped as the cut of the teeth are different. sorry but no mix and match here i am affraid.

Excellent! I think it was mentioned in the other thread about '6 boxes the other day that the gears are not interchangeable, as it'd be ideal if a couple could be substituted.

Miles

1 & 2 are machined on the input shaft, 3 & 4 are a pair of gears that slide onto the pinion shaft, 5 & 6 you can change

Anton green

Thanks Liquid, that it what I suspected.

PeterT :o I'm not investing so much in a crown wheel pinion kit!!

Miles, 5 and 6 individual ratios are changeable then! :) But what to -would they accept other gears from the BE3 range if I wanted to lengthen 6th for motorway work for instance?

Edited by Anton green

Miles

have to be off another 6 speed, the shaft and splines are all different

Mad Scientist

AB motorsport make up hybrid boxes. There must be ways and means. I'm sure Andy said 1st and 2nd from a 1.9 be3, 3rd, 4th from a 6 box and 5th and final drive from a xsara vts. He also strengthens the casing.

Lots of money though, so not sure of the worth.

Anton green

Thanks Mad. I guess because "it isn't meant to be there" it might come down to engineering and dosh.. Similar to what petert mentioned.

Mad Scientist

Andy Baker quoted me about £700. That was with me supplying a 6 box, a xsara vts box, and a 1.9be3. It included meddling with the ratios, heavy duty bearings and machining of casing to suit, full strip, and acid dipped case.

To be honest, the most benefit you will find is from the xsara final drive, a decent diff, and a rebuilt box. MUCH more cost effective to speak to Miles.

Miles

Sounds odd to me as 3rd in a 6 box is the weakest gear of them all and is well known for giving up the ghost even on std power, The bearing mod as well I don;t like as I;ve seen this on the 306 BTCC car's, the case crack's instead of bearing issue's, the BTCC plan was using a metal plate to try and stiffen the case up but it never worked, Mind that was with Dog gears.