• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Bovien

Leaking Oil From Oil Pressure Sensor?

Bovien

My engine has started leaking quite a lot of oil. I'm guessing half a litre over the last week or so.

My oil pressure seonsor and area around looks covered in oil, and it looks like its coming from the absolute point of the sensor where the wire is attached.

Does that make any sense? Also, it does leak quite a bit just standing after a drive. I would think that without pressure, it wouldn't be able to leak out of the sensor. Or am I wrong? Do you have experienses with the sensor leaking?

Tom Fenton

Firstly assuming we are talking about an 8v XU engine?

I have seen on a number of occasions the smaller oil pressure "switch" leak from the top near the electrical terminal. The larger oil pressure "sensor" has not given me a problem but thats not to say it isn't your issue.

As with all oil leaks I would start by giving the engine a good degrease and clean (jet wash is ideal) and then go from there to track down the source of the leak.

Bovien

yep, 8v

Thanks mate, that confirms my findings. It is the switch, to the sender (think they are called sensor and sender, the latter being the larger one of the two). So that is what I see. I have an extra of those, so I will pick up a washer and see if that cures the problem.

I don't dare to do the jetwash thing. Both due to electrical gremlins showing and my short lived experience with the car tells me that things/connectors/pugs tend to fall off quite easily. So I'll just try to work it with a towel and some degreaser... :)

pug_ham

I've had the same with an oil pressure switch leaking oil at quite a shocking rate.

The switch uses the same size copper washer as the 16mm sump drain plug so they are commonly available.

g

Sign in to follow this