• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TVH

Catcams Retainers With Xu10J2 Valves

TVH

I'm building XU10J2 head with Catcams double springs and retainers. The problem is that the upper retainer seems to be designed only for use with XU5/9 valves that have single groove valve locks. XU10J2 valves have triple groove locks and when assembled, the retainer sits about 2mm too high. This affects spring installation height, but I can machine new spring bases so this is not too bad. The real problem is that retainer sits so high that there's very little if any clearance to the valve bucket. Does anyone know should it be like this and is the minimal clearance between bucket and retainer enough to prevent the bucket from pushing the retainer instead of the valve?

mollisk

I built a similar head to fit on a 1.6 engine, again using Catcam retainers and springs. I found that to obtain the correct valve clearance that I had to make oversize shims as the Peugeot shims were not thick enough. This had the effect of raising the top of the shim above the retainer.

To make the shims I used silver steel bar stock of the correct diameter machined slighty oversize on thickness to make blanks . I then had the blanks hardened to the same spec as a standard shim. These blanks were then surface ground to suit the correct valve clearance required.

Hope this helps.

Mollisk

TVH

I built a similar head to fit on a 1.6 engine, again using Catcam retainers and springs. I found that to obtain the correct valve clearance that I had to make oversize shims as the Peugeot shims were not thick enough. This had the effect of raising the top of the shim above the retainer.

To make the shims I used silver steel bar stock of the correct diameter machined slighty oversize on thickness to make blanks . I then had the blanks hardened to the same spec as a standard shim. These blanks were then surface ground to suit the correct valve clearance required.

Hope this helps.

Mollisk

Did you use regrinded cam on that build? I'm using a Catcam that have the same base circle than a standard cam. I measured valve clearances with just the bucket on top of the retainer, no shim in place, clearance was around 0.15mm. So definitely the xu10 valve locks do not fit the retainer properly :wacko:

mollisk

The cam I used was new and not reground. I didnt measure the base circle diameter to compare it to a standard cams base circle diameter, so I cant comment on that. I also had to machine new lower retainers to obtain the correct fitted length for the spring.

If you only have 0.15 m/m clearance with no shims fitted then it would seem that there is a mismach between the geometry of the cam base circle diameter and the design of the retainers, unfortunately.

Edited by mollisk

Sign in to follow this