• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jamie P

Roll Cage With Interior

Jamie P

I've been researching roll cages for some time and can see the OMP cage can be fitted with minimal alteration to the vehicles trim.

I would rather fit a cage from SD but am unsure if any of their cages can be used with trim rear seats etc

Could someone post a pic and cage type with standard rear trim installed?

Also has anyone any experience of cages by Protection & Performance?

Baz

There isn't really any cages on the market that allow the rear seats to remain without chopping them about and rendering the seats useless or very uncomfortable.

As for the rest of the interior though, there's no reason why it can't stay in with a cage!

matt.f

Protection and performance are very good.Can do msa/fia cage and build them to your requirments.

My dads 106 has one and its a very neat job

Wes

heres mine with an omp cage (rear half only) with full interior, it all fits ok apart from you have to remove the sunroof blind and runners if you have one. i've painted it black since the pics were taken so it doesn't stand out as much.

004.jpg

005.jpg

0062.jpg

MiniGibbo

They arent designed to keep the back seats as youre not meant to use back seats with a cage as its dangerious for passengers.

its hard enough to find dash dodger, let alone seat dodgers haha.

chipstick

^

As far as I'm aware from searching in the past, the reason that OMP allow you to retain the rear seats are for competition where you are supposed to keep the interior in.

That may be crap, but I specifically chose an OMP cage so I could keep rear seats in for aesthetics.

• Like 1

Baz

They arent designed to keep the back seats as youre not meant to use back seats with a cage as its dangerious for passengers.

its hard enough to find dash dodger, let alone seat dodgers haha.

State the obvious why don't you.

Dash dodgers aren't hard to come by at all, but IMO if you're going to cage a car, cage the car properly not the air inside it, at the sake of cutting some holes in the dash which can be done very neatly, i don't see why you'd opt for a lesser cage.

I have a 205 in my workshop at the moment that has a very tidy Safety Devices C44 challenge cage installed VERY neatly by Dan Taylor (Taylorspug) that retains most of the interior trim usually junked, very much a 'Club Sport' style car.

Baz

^

As far as I'm aware from searching in the past, the reason that OMP allow you to retain the rear seats are for competition where you are supposed to keep the interior in.

That may be crap, but I specifically chose an OMP cage so I could keep rear seats in for aesthetics.

100% correct, many regs state interior trim has to remain, although there isn't one that says it has to be fully functional as original AFAIK!

SD C12 cages can be fitted so the rear seats can remain if trimmed, more so the older design. But IMO i don't really see the point other than as you say, for aesthetic reasons, but you'd be silly to put a passenger in the back with a cage fitted for any journey of length.

I've had this problem for years, going to the 'Ring, often 3 of us in a 205, i'd very much like a cage but IMO then the car becomes instantly a 2-seater and more dedicated over what it's main use is supposed to be.

wicked

The company Matter from Germany used to make cages that allowed to keep the back seats in place:

(It had FIA approval)

Foto-7RLBBZ7P.jpg

Graz

Baz

Could you get photos of how the C44 cage fits in the car you currently have in? It would be interesting to see how it fits whilst keeping the seats in place, I need to for regulations and could do with some inspiration be good to see how others have done it.

Batfink

State the obvious why don't you.

Dash dodgers aren't hard to come by at all, but IMO if you're going to cage a car, cage the car properly not the air inside it, at the sake of cutting some holes in the dash which can be done very neatly, i don't see why you'd opt for a lesser cage.

I have a 205 in my workshop at the moment that has a very tidy Safety Devices C44 challenge cage installed VERY neatly by Dan Taylor (Taylorspug) that retains most of the interior trim usually junked, very much a 'Club Sport' style car.

Why anyone wants a dash dodger...I'd like my feet to survive as well as the rest of me :D

• Like 1

Jamie P

This forum is great as I can tap into the wealth of experience and knowledge of other 205 owners. To save time and save the thread going off topic I just want to clarify my reasons for this post.

My car is primarily a road car that gets occasional use (covering <5k per yr) and I’m interested in having a go at road rallying so I would like the car to be eligible for that.

To keep costs down I was intending to by a cage second hand if possible, otherwise I am thinking of getting one made to MSA spec so it’s exactly how I want it.

I was planning on fitting a bolt in cage that could be removed if I sold the car on, whilst I don’t mind trimming the rear seats I wasn’t planning on cutting the dash.

In an attempt to keep the car as practical as possible I want to retain the rear seats, even though I don’t carry rear seat passengers. I can see why keeping the rear seats and trim seems like a waste of time for some but my car is not just a rally car.

Keeping the rear seats in place offers a few of benefits: I still have the option to store things in the boot out of sight when parked up, the rear seat and parcel shelf make the car a lot quieter at high speed which is a blessing for a long journey & prefer the look with the seats in place. I would be willing to trim the rear seats to fit the cage if needs be.

The car (unfortunately) has a sunroof, are off the shelf cages sunroof specific?

The ‘dash dodging’ SD cages do not offer strut triangulation, do not offer as much shell rigidity and make getting in and out of the car more of a pain. I was reluctantly going to fit the c12 type but if it is possible to neatly fit the c44 type then I probably would.

Baz do you have pics of front/rear/boot of the car in your workshop?

The OMP cage has the main hoop next to the B pillar where the SD ones are set further back, this seems a better location as it is out of the way.

I found this as I was searching the net, a C44 with rear seats fitted:

http://www.motorsportads.com/recently-sold/14863.html

As pics/experience with cage fabricators would be appreciated

welshpug

personally if I was going to bother fitting a cage I'd do it properly and use something along these lines.

http://www.customcag...type=Multipoint

new071008peugeot205and309.jpg

Edited by welshpug

matt.f

Nothing wrong with OMP cages,know people who have had rolls with them and they stood up well.Yes slightly cheaper and a more basic design with no harness bars etc but they do there job.

Sold my OMP purely to upgrade to a more modern cage while im still building my car

Baz

Baz

Could you get photos of how the C44 cage fits in the car you currently have in? It would be interesting to see how it fits whilst keeping the seats in place, I need to for regulations and could do with some inspiration be good to see how others have done it.

It doesn't retain the rear seats i'm afraid, but just about everything else, door cards, pillar trims, roof console etc! -but one of mine does with a C12 cage to meet regs, they're just folded down as they really can't be realistically used.

In fact it's common to remove the metal from the seats and just pin them in palce anywhere, less weight and as i've said the regs aren't specific about them being 'usable'. For the same reason you could use Ph1 interior panels etc, less weight, some go to the extent of using base model bits, rear doorcards with no inserts/ashtrays, slimmed down centre consoles with a simple gear surround & gaitor etc.

matt.f

Have seen some scrutineers pick up on the fact theres no frame on backrests or on seat bases,crazy i know!

Miles

One of those odd rules, like my 306 has to run full interior which is ****** much safer not having rear seats I think but on any competition car I think the interior should be ripped out, Allot less to catch on Fire

this is the basic spec SD cage, mind no seats here

DSC00193.jpg

BlueBolt

That's tidy as hell!!! I want!!!!!!!!!