• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dave205

Sealing A Sump

dave205

Whats the best way of sealing a sump back on? Ive cleaned the face up carefully with a scraper, but not sure what sealant to use. Also whats the torque setting for the bolts and i assume theres a tightening sequence aswell?!

rallyeash

i use the Wurth black RTV stuff thats in a can with a nozzle, never had any problems with that.

not sure on the tightening sequence but i just work in opposites

petert

ThreeBond 1211. It was designed to seal motorcycle gearbox cases, so a sump is a walk in the park. It only needs a smear. I always do both faces to be sure. You'll apprecate it even more when time comes to remove it. Bolts 11Nm from memory.

Tom Fenton

Tin or alloy sump?

Tin sump I prefer to use Stag Wellseal with a gasket.

Alloy sump I use Wurth RTV silicone.

Both types, you MUST thoroughly clean and degrease the faces, I also like to leave the sump overnight if possible for the sealer to go off before putting oil in.

Ryan

20Nm for the sump. No particular sequence, just work out from the centre, or start at opposite corners - anything like that...

DamirGTI

For tightening the bolts :

Use an accumulator hand drill , set the drill strength "clutch" to highest , fit an square extension in the drill and socket on top .

Start tightening from centre outwards , or diagonally as you wish ... just do them up till the drill starts slipping and that's it .

By this method they'll all be tightened to the same torque (which is more important than specific torque spec as regards to the sump sealing)

Try , it's easy and it really works :)

Damir B)

• Like 1

EZ Tutty

Another vote for Wurth RTV Sealant... i used some on my R32 recently and it worked a treat!

I've also used it for Water Pumps and stuff.

kyepan

Clean each bolt so it's free of grit, this will minimise the risk of cross threading or stripping the bolts, this is actually quite important.

Making sure each face is spotlessly clean, and fully degreased is the key, that and leaving it at least overnight before refilling. Nipping up a bit more in the morning doesn't hurt, especially if you've cleaned all the threads, that's up to you though.

Cheers

J

dave205

Seems wurth rtv sealantis the stuff to use, how much will it take?

welshpug

not seen that stuff over here, most tradesmen use Wurth or Loctite, also used elring without issues.

dave205

I went for a tube of wurth rtv black sealant in the end, cleaned the faces and degreased them and refitted the sump so will fill it with oil tonight and see!

Sign in to follow this