• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
firstcar_205gti

Headgasket :/?

firstcar_205gti

well ive only had this car for a couple of months i bought it as it had a full engine rebuild but noticed this today as i was taking my manifold off.

if it is i was also wondering how much it would be to get a garage to do it as i have no idea :blink:

post-19599-0-91914600-1347228556_thumb.jpg

Miles

Check the inlet manifold first as there is water there, If not then with that amount of leakage it could be something like a corroded block which would need work, Cost wise really does depend, I;d say anything from £250.00 up

firstcar_205gti

ive undone all the bolts to the manifold as im putting carbs on it but i didnt know there was water in the manifold itself?

pug_ham
ive undone all the bolts to the manifold as im putting carbs on it but i didnt know there was water in the manifold itself?

There isn't water in the manifold itself but there are holes in the head casting that get blocked off by the inlet manifold when its bolted up.

g

Tom Fenton

I have known alloy block XU engines run like that for 3 years so if it is just a slow weep, and it isn't using gallons of coolant or pressuring the cooling system, then I would not panic about it too much. Yes it will need the gasket doing, but my experience is that the weeping will be down to it being a 20 year old gasket that has deterioated to the point of weeping. Usually the block face will be OK, and you can easily have the head skimmed whilst it is off.

firstcar_205gti

wasnt headgasket was just inlet manifold :) thanks guys

Sign in to follow this