• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
CopperBottom

Ive Had Several Of These, And I Dont Remember Toffee!

CopperBottom

Hey guys

Firstly a quick Hello...................... Hello

Well, ive brought myself back to the world of Pug GTI's. Ive previously had 3 1.6 GTI's, my last one was a (what i would call) well modified Series 2, mainly chassis mods but i loved it.

Since then ive been into bikes and jap cars, the bike being the daily hack and the jap (a 520hp Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo). However, 8 years of riding in all weathers every day has taken it toll on my 30 year old and slightly knackered body, and I decided to take a break. As a result, today ive picked up a series 1.5 1.9 GTI

To be honest, it needs a bit of work.but i think its a good base to start with. there is no sign of any corrosion that i need to worry about, its had a respray at some time in its life, which TBH is not really to what i would call a good standard (im very picky with paint work and am a keen detailer). The interior is in very good condition. Ill post some pics later.

On the way home I found a few issues that didnt appear on the test drive.

I found that at motorway speeds it would drift to the right on the application of the throttle and back to the left on full lift off. Think ive traced this down to at least a knackered track rod end on the front left corner. Will get it on a ramp and see if i cant find any other possible contributing factors.

The other issue I have come across is the brakes. On an emergency stop situation, it locks the back brakes, more so N/S/R. Im going to hazard a guess at either siezed or stiff front calipers. I'll strip these down and get them as good as i can. Ill probably invest in some braided brake lines as well as a full brake fluid renewal

The main issue appears to the engine. In terms of general health is seems good. Oil pressure is good, oil temp and water temp is good. However, it has the same old idle issue i remember one of my 1.6's having. When it starts, it starts well (maybe a turn and a half of the starter) and initially around the 900 rpm mark. However, after a minute or so, it raises to 1500 RPM. Ive adjusted the idle control on the throttle body, which it will idle at 1k-ish, but on approach to junctions when you declutch, the revs dip too far and stalls the engine. Furthermore, it feels flat and lathargic on acceleration, struggles to pass 6k rpm and DRINKS fuel, and I mean drinks it! I went through 30 litres of fuel in 120 miles!

The car has a superchip ECU which i intend on removing, aswell as some sort of after market induction kit. Ill be removing both and restoring it to stock as a starter for 10...... then searching this forum for suggestions! Ill do a compression test on my next day off.

Anyway, its nice to be back in a GTI and I look forward to picking your brains in the future!

Nick

dave richards

I found that at motorway speeds it would drift to the right on the application of the throttle and back to the left on full lift off. Think ive traced this down to at least a knackered track rod end on the front left corner. Will get it on a ramp and see if i cant find any other possible contributing factors.

replace your wishbone bushes and check the ball joint

GLPoomobile

Pics of the 300ZX please :)

Henry Yorke

Irratic idle is common and could be air flow meter needs retracking, SAD cleaning, air leak, needs a good set up, vac advance broken on the distributor...

All the answers will be on the forum somewhere!

Miles

I must say after driving a 205 abit with a Mi fitted and a recon AFM it reminded me of how they used to be back in the day so they do make a huge difference if not the cheapest thing

CopperBottom

I must say after driving a 205 abit with a Mi fitted and a recon AFM it reminded me of how they used to be back in the day so they do make a huge difference if not the cheapest thing

Yeah, i reckon the AFM is definately a contributing factor. Its got quite a few flat spots through the rev range, especially high up

replace your wishbone bushes and check the ball joint

Cheers for that

Pics of the 300ZX please :)

No Probs

13ae2793.jpg

DSC_0147.jpg

DSC_0116.jpg

Irratic idle is common and could be air flow meter needs retracking, SAD cleaning, air leak, needs a good set up, vac advance broken on the distributor...

All the answers will be on the forum somewhere!

Cheers, i remember at least 2 of my previous 205's having similar idle problems. Its odd in that when it initially starts it seems quite content with idling at 900, then its like the idle setting on the adjustable screw kick in and raise it, which makes me thing the vac advance (which i completely forgot these had) sounds like a strong possibility..... but again, search is my friend!

Cheers guys

• Like 1

chipstick

There was me thinking a retro confectionary product had come back on sale with a toffee flavour. Disappointed.

All the best with the car.

S@m

Not usually a fairlady fan, but that's a very nice one! Could barely squeeze a rizla into that engine bay - its crammed!

Edited by Sam306

CopperBottom

Cheers!

bondo

Fookin' ell that engine!

i think perhaps the gudgeon pin is askew on the treadle though. :unsure:

CopperBottom

The treadle you say...................

johnsimister

I wouldn't remove the Superchipped ECU. Its main benefit is the way it calms the overrun fuel cut-off and gets rid of most of the snatch and jerk in traffic. Any power increase it offers is minimal at best, but driveability is much improved. I've always thought it one of the best improvements you could make to a 205 GTI.

John

Sign in to follow this