• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rjuhar

No Driving Lights, No Oil Pressure - Brainstorming Please

Rjuhar

Before we took the engine out everything had worked, after rebuilding the engine and painting the car I have some electrical issues (although the loom stayed in and also nobody was messing arround it. Also all the connectors are clean and checked:

- (bottom) driving lights don't work - there's no power comming through - question: from the main loom, where do the cables go (1987 Ph1) - I can't find a relay nor the fuse for it. All I know is that it's the brown wire comming to driving lights connectors but on the other side I don't have a clue where it goes (definitely it goes to a wiring loom but from there it's all insulated). If I only knew that, I could examine why it doesn't get the power to the lights... Also, is there a relay for Ph 1 or at least a fuse? I know a work arround, which is pretty obvious (new wiring and new relay switch) but it just pisses me off since it worked just fine before.

- oil pressure gauge - when I turn the key to ignition position (so just before turning the engine) the needle jumps to max but when the engine runs it doesn't show anything. I checked the connector, the sender is supposed to work, so I don't have a clue what else can I check.

Read quite some, but nowhere found an answer about relay and fuse for the driving lights in Ph1 cars and about oil pressure - no idea left whatsoever...

GLPoomobile

Oil pressure - sounds like you've got the wires the wrong way around for the pressure sensor and pressure switch. The switch feeds the warning light, and as your gauge is shooting up to max with ignition on that indicates you've got it connected to the switch.

Rjuhar

Great idea, I'll look into it and I hope you're right.

Rjuhar

Progress report - changed the wires on oil pressure switch and pressure sender - the result is that STOP light comes on as it should (when ignition is on) but the pressure gauge still doesn't work although it did change its behaviour. When ignition is on (before starting the engine) it climbs to about 2bar but when the starter is turning the engine it slams to min and when the engine's running it doesn't move anywhere. What are the simptoms of a faulty/dead oil pressure sender and can it be checked? What output should I get from it's contact on ignition and idleing and - to eliminate wiring problem - how do I bypass connect (if it is at all possible) the sender to the instrument cluster?

As for the lights - we couldn't find out what the problem was so we did a new wiring with a fuse and relais so it's solved although I wouldn' really mind getting info on how it should be originally wired.

Please don't be shy, I'm kinda depending on the solutions from this forum.

Rjuhar

No ideas guys? C'mon, I really count on your expertise...

welshpug

earth the connector to the block an dit should send the needle to the top, if it does this its the sender at fault.

if it does not then the gauge is faulty.

if it does nothing you have the wrong wire.

Rjuhar

Thanks, that's what I needed. Will report.

dcc

bad earth from battery to engine/chassis?

dandanger

i was thinking bad earth