• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
m@ttc

Engine Lifting Points

m@ttc

hiya im about to remove the engine but cannot find the lift eye points. Ive done a quick search and found i should be looking between the cam cover and feulrail area each end, but still cannot see them. :wacko: please help :D xu9ja engine. oh, and the gearbox is not attached so will it be fine with ballance still , ie will it lift level?

Anthony

You'll be fine lifting it without the gearbox, and has the bonus that you can remove it without tilting (which you need to do if the gearbox is still attached)

The lifting eyes should be very obvious sort of either side of the inlet manifold, so if you can't see them, it's possible that they've been removed, which seems to be surprisingly common for reasons I've never quite understood. They're each held in place by a single bolt from memory, one for each lifting eye.

m@ttc

You'll be fine lifting it without the gearbox, and has the bonus that you can remove it without tilting (which you need to do if the gearbox is still attached)

The lifting eyes should be very obvious sort of either side of the inlet manifold, so if you can't see them, it's possible that they've been removed, which seems to be surprisingly common for reasons I've never quite understood. They're each held in place by a single bolt from memory, one for each lifting eye.

thanks anthony, guess they are missing then do i have any other options??

Redtop

Just cut 2 bits of flat steel and bore an 8mm iirc for the bolt to go where the original bracket was and then a bigger one to hook your rope/chain through. Give them a wee bend out in the vice for abit more room to hook up to. Either that or go to the scrappy and get some off another engine from that era.

m@ttc

cheers red top, my problem is i dont know where the originals were ive never seen them. looking at my car there is, one 8mm hole on the leftside of the head and two 8mm holes on the right of the head is this where they were originally?? I can get two 8mm eye bolts from work and use them no problem if this is where they go? or is it a no no lifting here as the head is only ally and likely to strip the threads out?

Tom Fenton

I've lifted loads of engines out of different stuff over the years, the best thing I find is a fabric 2" strap, feed this around whatever sticks out and use that to lift out, the exhaust and inlet manifolds are usually a good bet, and they also have the advantage of half a dozen or more fixing points to the rest of it as opposed to a weedy single 8mm or whatever on the lifting eyes.

m@ttc

If I am removing an engine without eyes I use a cargo sling like this:

http://www.toolstati...60/sd470/p45395

Otherwise I use 2 shackles through the eyes and a chain.

I have some spare eyes here somewhere if you want some.

yeh man id love some thanks! keep it all original and so :) i got slings and lifting gear just wondered where to put it all thats all.

omega

just cut a old seat belt up

Baz

Inlet/Exhaust manifolds or just somewhere solid will be fine.

just cut a old seat belt up

+1 Damn handy for this kind of thing, just tie it to something solid!

Sign in to follow this