• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Stevo309

T16 Chews Up Another Gearbox!

Stevo309

I managed 5 years on the last standard 6 speed box (tranx plate diff installed) before 3rd gear gave up so i replaced it with a fully rebuilt unit with all gears shot peened at great cost. I'm really depressed to announce that this box did less than 100 miles before 6th gear exploded. I now have no drive in 6th but the gearbox makes horrible noises in all gears so it's probably terminal.

I'm thinking it's time to try a 5 speed and actually with the t16 engine i always found it running out of revs very quickly in each gear and would benefit from longer gears. Would a be3 be up to the job? Better than the be3/6? Also, does anyone have experience of the Quaife synchro gearset and if so, is it significantly stronger? Also, would the standard pinion and crown wheel be ok with the Quaife gears or would i need a modified final drive to ensure a sensible top end for road use?

The car is used mainly for fast road so i'm just looking for reliability and decent driveability, a top end of 130 - 140 mph would be fine.

Thanks

lynmorgan

A be3 gearbox will be no stronger than a be3/6, gears are basically the same but the 6 speed box has a longer end cover to house the 6th. As for a quaife gear set being stronger im not that convinced as i have seen quaife crown wheel and pinions with pitting marks etc but peugeot final drives dont tend to have this in my experience.

For working out the what ratios you need for 130-140mph you will need your wheel/tyre size, ratios and rpm you want to rev it to. there is a gear calulator on here somewhere that you could have a play around with to see what you need

Google search be3 gear ratios track monkey and open the pdf and thats the gear calculator

Edited by lynmorgan

kyepan

You might find the gearbox oil is overheating, there was someone on here who was having box failures, checked the emus and found the box oil was too hot. He used an oil cooler for the box oil and has been fine since

allanallen

You might find the gearbox oil is overheating, there was someone on here who was having box failures, checked the emus and found the box oil was too hot. He used an oil cooler for the box oil and has been fine since

Apparently....

Stevo309

Thanks guys, i did consider oil temperature but it failed after a few miles from cold and was under fairy light load. Unless previous damage was done.

I'll look up the gear calculator.

Shame about the quaife internals, would like to keep the be3. Not sure i can cope with the mods to fit an me or ml gearbox.

kyepan

Apparently....

do you know something we don't ;)

the temps were spiking under acceleration, so it was quite a temporary thing.

Tom Fenton

Believe that if you wish, I know my stance on that user and his regular wild unsubstantiated claims.

• Like 1

kyepan

ah I see, didn't realise it was contentious, that explains some other comments on the other thread.

Tom Fenton

That mineral and synthetic oils get thinner (lower viscosity) as they get hotter is definite fact and I am sure no suprise to any of us.

luggy

Believe that if you wish, I know my stance on that user and his regular wild unsubstantiated claims.

How about we get back on topic

What would you suggest Tom to help the OP resolve his current issue?