• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
lahondal

Supercharged 8V.....230Hp?

lahondal

Hi!

Only its a simple question....do you think is possible to reach 230hp with an Eaton m62 supercharger, mounted in a 2.0 Turbo 8v engine?

I think the stock boost is around 0.5bar/7psi.....and with the charger i dont know if i can have 1bar/14psi or more...

What do you think?

Edited by lahondal

joris_andriesse

Instead of or together with the original turbo?

lahondal

Instead of, i dont know if a M62 can blow 1bar or more.

I want to build a rally car with forced induction without LAG and i want to know if an Eaton m62 do the work to reach 230hp or I must buy a good centrifugal supercharger.

David.

allanallen

Even the older generation m62s can flow enough for 300hp. You have to remember though that once you start going higher than 10psi they start to loose efficiency and produce a lot more heat. That's not to say that you can't do it.

I'm not convinced its worth messing about with 8v turbo bottom end for that sort of power. A higher compression 16 valve engine will make 250hp on just over half a bar, bit of a no brainer in my opinion.

lahondal

I start with the turbo 8v bottom end because the project was first a big turbo 8v project, and I already have this block in house...but later thought (s**t!!), that the LAG will be monstrous, yes i´m a no brainer.....and in rallying I need to go between 40 and 100km/h many many times, and LAG is a big enemy against the clock.

And yes, 16v is the clue, but I want to stay 8v, i like the 8v engine (althought the 16v its better).

joris_andriesse

I think the 8v is fine for what you are looking for, because of it's low rpm torque power. You might think of also improving your inlet, by for example using a 1.9 8v inlet in combination with an gti6 throtle body. The heat problem can be solved (mostly) by optimize your intercooler.

• Like 1

welshpug

the 8v does not "produce good low rpm torque" a 16v will outperform it EVERYWHERE.

• Like 1

lahondal

the 8v does not "produce good low rpm torque" a 16v will outperform it EVERYWHERE.

I know, but the 8v have something special that the 16v doesn't have, only for me of course. I feel like if I put a 16v in the GTi I'm killing it a bit.

So a good design of intercooling can mostly overtake the heat problem of the roots efficiency? Or simply im wasting the time.

welshpug

but youre supercharging it :lol:

lahondal
:blush: Yes

madspikes

I'll sell you my supercharged 1.9 8v GTI.... ;-)

Mine is making ~180bhp from 0.4bar, using a E45 charger.

I have a project thread http://forum.205gtid...opic=66898&st=0

Feel free to PM for any info.

Mad

Edited by madspikes

lahondal

I'll sell you my supercharged 1.9 8v GTI.... ;-)

Mine is making ~180bhp from 0.4bar, using a E45 charger.

I have a project thread http://forum.205gtid...opic=66898&st=0

Feel free to PM for any info.

Mad

I already have readed all your project thread.

For buying your car...its a bit difficult, here we have a ferry which go Santander-Plymouth-Santander every week, but the RHD car aren't for me for now...thanks anyway.

By the way, there in the UK the rally cars are awesome cheap! I´m thinking in buy a rally car, take it here to Spain, and mount all pieces and bits in a LHD shell. Will be lots cheaper than buying here a rally car.

My problem is the CR, you started with a stock CR of 9.6:1, isn't it? I start with a CR of 8:1 (turbo block), and i will need more boost than you for achieving the same HP. 1 bar minimun i think for 200hp.

madspikes

Hell, not sure I could sell the pug anyway... had it too long!

I started with the 9.6:1 compression ratio.

Do you have any ideas on how you'd mount the larger M62 charger?

lahondal

Hell, not sure I could sell the pug anyway... had it too long!

I started with the 9.6:1 compression ratio.

Do you have any ideas on how you'd mount the larger M62 charger?

I´m thinking mount it in the upper side, above the alternator, is not a lot of space with the starter motor fitted, so I try to fit it there.

I would love buying a centrifugal charger, but its sooo expensive and i dont know if my wallet will endure...will search in ebay....but first I need to sell my BIG turbo...

wicked

I doubt if the engine (as is) would make a could combo with the charger.

The engine needs (relative to a 16v) a lot of boost to make 230bhp.

This is the flow graph of a M62:

M62flow.gif

You need about 360cfm to make 250 bhp. But the 8v won't eat 360cfm @ 10psi. You'll need more pressure, or make it flow beter (better cam, inlet,... )

Making more pressure with the chargers, means a lot more heat:

M62deltaT.gif

And power loss:

M62power.gif

So with a supercharger, I would opt for engine with a higher compression (dkz), wilder cam (can be wild N/A cam, since you don't have back pressure from the turbo) and low pressure.

Or use a smaller turbocharger....

Edited by wicked

lahondal

I have the DKZ cam ready for fit, and the plan is build a custom inlet manifold, maybe with 306 gti plenum. The exhaust ports are bigger at the moment and i want to make 3 angle seats on exhaust. Stock valves.

The block is fully rebuilded (avatar pic).

Anyway, i´m seeing that making 230hp with a roots charger and a low starting CR its difficult, not imposible, but requires a lot of effort, so I need to re-plan the project and squeeze my brain, even more...

stef205

16v engine and m45 charger thats around 250bhp :)

wicked

I think your answer is cheaper than expected:

http://forum.205gtid...howtopic=143787

Compromise a little on your 'NO lag' requirement and you're done....

With a little revy gearbox, you'll only notice some lag in first gear....

Edited by wicked

Sign in to follow this