• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
lemmingzappa

Proposed Modified Car Ban

Carbs4me

That is the most petty and ridiculous thing i have ever seen in my life! its just a bunch of tossers with yacht's and who enjoy a good old tea party!

Why not take away the fun for the rest of us.

And destory the mod business in a already growing recession at the same time! these guys littery must have nothing better to do!

welshpug

Thatll make it the same as most of europe then.

kyepan

I wonder how much the after market tuning business is worth to the uk economy, that and the insurance cash that comes in from modified cars.

• Like 1

e8_pack

I wonder how much the after market tuning business is worth to the uk economy, that and the insurance cash that comes in from modified cars.

Not as much as being in the EU is worth unfortunately.

d7ve_b

Well that's me buggered then, all of our cars are modified....

Rich_p

How will it be policed?

What are they classing as modified? For example brake pads, will they insist you can only fit OE pads or OE spec pads?

Carbs4me

our modifying excitment soon will be about changing a wind up window to a electric window, sounds exciting! cant wait!

SurGie

Im sure if it ever came into law, it will only apply once the law has passed so all those that are modified before are ok, so get modifying now guys before its too late, hell, we only have until 21/12/2012 ffs :ph34r:

feb

This doesn't surprise me.

In Germany it is already illegal to modify a vehicle and every modification must be TUV approved.

What does this mean in praactice?

That german products -a lot of which are of crap quality- have type approval to be sold in the market whereas quality japanese parts haven't and hence are illegal.

What if one wants to fit parts that have no TUV approval?

TUV tests can cost up to 2.000€ (for wheels, exhausts etc.) and after approval you can fit them to the car and are allowed to import these parts and sell them.

Now the white-collar EU bureaucrats instructed by the (most probably German) car cartels have decided to take this one step further.

Not only are we controlled what to eat (see codex alimentarius), buy, consume and drive, in a while we will not be able to think at all!

Many years ago I was considering the people who were critising the EU as naive and couldn't understand their logic.

It seems I was the naive one.

The EU seems to have been created to satisfy the interests of the cartels at the expense of the general populous.

Edited by feb
  • Like 3

feb

How will it be policed?

What are they classing as modified? For example brake pads, will they insist you can only fit OE pads or OE spec pads?

Brake pads need to have EU approval but a lot of aftermarket parts that have been made by one-man/small companies will be illegal unless their manufacturers spend money getting them approved.

The days of car fun will soon be over.

S@m

Can't see this ever happening, it would make 1000's of people redundant overnight!

But then when has that ever bothered politicians!

kyepan

all of a sudden i have the urge to join UKIP.... *stands next to some flag waving idiots.

• Like 1

feb

Can't see this ever happening, it would make 1000's of people redundant overnight!

But then when has that ever bothered politicians!

Do you think they care about small companies or one-man show?

The big manufacturers will swallow everyone.

We should really do something about this guys, seriously!

• Like 1

Rjuhar

Jup, that's EU. Actually I was often surprised as I saw all sorts of mods being allowed in UK although you have quite strict MOTs. But the fun doesn't stop - you can still do quite a lot - but I guess this is one of the reasons the trend in Europe goes towards OEM+ scene.

S@m

I still think that, given the current ecomonic/political climate, there would be too much of an outcry to such a job cull for any government to be get this through. Especially when there is no upside, what possible benefit comes from this? Does the UK have a high modified cars related death toll when compared to the rest of Europe - not that i know of!

Edited by Sam306

harryskid

I though the world Mad Max lived in was fiction but it looks like its starting to happen. A world torn apart by war, ban on petrol heads and smokers! :(

MiniGibbo

our modifying excitment soon will be about changing a wind up window to a electric window, sounds exciting! cant wait!

I thought you all bitched oem is the way forward and all 205 gti's should be restored to original trim..

Make your minds up....

• Like 2

Anthony

There's a lot of scaremongering going on.

There is no way that they are going to render every single modified car illegal overnight. No chance.

The whole thing is open to interpretation and implimentation by the various member states even if it is approved, and to be honest, the way I'm reading it is that they're effectively trying to create framework for MOT type tests across all European states, with a particular focus on safety and emissions - both items that our existing MOT requirements cover.

This reminds me of people saying almost exactly the same about the MOT changes that took effect this year, and as expected, very little changed, and most of the MOT changes were actually pretty sensible and stuff that I suspect most people were surprised wasn't included in the MOT before.

Remember that in theory, an awful lot of cars on here are in breach of existing rules and should actually be wearing a Q plate or have to sit an SVA test by the same rules that mean many kit cars end up on Q plates. Have a read of them and then have a look at many of the 205's on here for compliance - and that's before you get to things like what Cameron is building...

Batfink

Basically to me it looks like companies in the uk will be forced to pay for TUV style accreditation. If not the parts will still be sold but as 'Race only'

Thats what happens on the continent.

Using exhaust manufacturers as an example. Supersprint are expensive compared to uk brands like Piper and Scorpion. This is partially due to the better quality but also the fact they pay to get products tested. A big company like Supersprint does not have to test every item though, but the business itself gets authorised. I dont understand the logistics on that.

So bottom line is products will get more expensive - all for a bit of paper to wave at your MOT tester.

Edp

There's a lot of scaremongering going on.

There is no way that they are going to render every single modified car illegal overnight. No chance.

The whole thing is open to interpretation and implimentation by the various member states even if it is approved, and to be honest, the way I'm reading it is that they're effectively trying to create framework for MOT type tests across all European states, with a particular focus on safety and emissions - both items that our existing MOT requirements cover.

This reminds me of people saying almost exactly the same about the MOT changes that took effect this year, and as expected, very little changed, and most of the MOT changes were actually pretty sensible and stuff that I suspect most people were surprised wasn't included in the MOT before.

Remember that in theory, an awful lot of cars on here are in breach of existing rules and should actually be wearing a Q plate or have to sit an SVA test by the same rules that mean many kit cars end up on Q plates. Have a read of them and then have a look at many of the 205's on here for compliance - and that's before you get to things like what Cameron is building...

I was going to make exactly the same point about the MOT changes.

harryskid

Reading what Anthony said, i have to agree there are thousands of modified cars out there plus all the tuning industry ect. Any goverment that let a law like that through would be commiting political sucide! :)

brumster

It's bananas. I can't see it really happening. That's every motorsport rally car in the whole of the UK banned from being used right there and then, destroying an entire sport and all the businesses that go with it.

Nah, that's not going to happen - let alone the question over kit cars and other modifieds.

• Like 2

welshpug

Naah it wont affect rally cars, see the awesome rally scene in europe, their closed roads add to it of course.

• Like 1

Henry Yorke

Reading what Anthony said, i have to agree there are thousands of modified cars out there plus all the tuning industry ect. Any goverment that let a law like that through would be commiting political sucide! :)

The majority of people with Wings West Supras and Imprezzas don't get off their backsides to vote, let alone get insured properly!