• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JeffR

Keeper Springs Question

JeffR

Guys, do I need a different spring base if using keeper springs? Should the arrowed base have a shoulder on the other side as well to centralise it? This is what I was supplied.

DSCF0685.jpg

Also, were we meant to get dust covers for the rear shocks in the group buy?

Cheers

B1ack_Mi16

If you get the keeper springs from GAZ, you will also get an additional spring base which has a small shoulder on both sides.

I believe it is best to put the keeper springs at the top to keep the unsprung weight to a minimum.

So just put the main spring on as usual, then the keeper spring base, then the keeper spring and then the top spring pan.

EDIT: Thinking a bit more about it.. maybe it's safest to put them at the bottom, as the helper spring will probably not be too stable, so nice to have the damper housing to locate it.

Edited by B1ack_Mi16

JeffR

Ah, that explains it. I'll get in contact with Warren & organise some.

I think they'd be better at the bottom too!

Cheers

petert1345402284

You never see them on the bottom, and if installed correctly, there should always be enough preload so they can never come astray.

welshpug

only ever seen them on the bottom

reiger wrc dampers -

_wsb_427x340_S5%20Reiger.jpg

petert1345402284

It obvious then. Northern hemisphere - on the bottom. Southern hemisphere - on the top.

James504
It obvious then. Northern hemisphere - on the bottom. Southern hemisphere - on the top.

:lol: :lol:

calvinhorse

My brother asked gaz about the dust covers for the rear shocks and they don't do them..

The guy on the gaz stand said your will never chip the coating off the shock leg but wouldn't put it in writing.. Funnily enough!

JeffR

I'm more concerned with premature seal wear from dust, grit, etc without a cover. My Koni yellows have covers-can't understand why they think their seals aren't going to fail eventually without them. Even factory Mi shocks have dust covers!

Edited by JeffR

cybernck

On the other hand, my 205 Koni Yellow rears don't have them:

205gti999_042.thumb.jpg

While 205 GHA rears have them.

welshpug

My Konis do :)

cybernck

Come to think of it, front coilovers don't have any covers either, so it shouldn't really matter.

rodionski

I have asked GAZ the same question re rear dust covers, and they promptly sent them to me. So there you have it))

Re keeper springs location - they are always located at the bottom of strut and you will not need a different bottom spring nut for the keeper - they are identical in diameter to the main ones. You will need a spacer (GAZ supplies a plastic one) between the keeper and main spring.

Reiger - yeah, about 5000GBP for a 3-way adjustable monotube inverted strut suspension..........

JeffR

I've seen them top & bottom. I'll ask Warren what he recommends for the Golds.

cammmy

Got my keepers the other day. Also, re: dustcovers. Apparently you can just put stockings over the springs, cable tie them around the strut body and it works fine.

rodionski

Stockings... yes, i've seen that used by soviet rally teams ;)

cammmy

If it works out on the steppe :P

cammmy

Key Guys

putting my keepers in today. I think they need to go on the top. I tried putting them on the bottom but the plastic spacer catches/grates on the threads of the strut. I imagine they would wear quite quickly if installed this way.

JeffR

When I last spoke to Warren he suggested the top. Any clearance issues with them Cammmy?

cammmy

Mine are in the top and no issues whatsoever

Sign in to follow this