• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
cammmy

Pas Removal

cammmy

I had a search for the topic where we were talking about this but couldn't find it.

Basically I've removed the PAS and want to make it look like it was never there. I can blank off the fluid entry/exit holes easily enough but the problem is the stud that the ram arm attaches to. Is it possible to remove this (without cutting it off)? It makes it quite obvious what i've done :lol:

chris adams
I had a search for the topic where we were talking about this but couldn't find it.

Basically I've removed the PAS and want to make it look like it was never there. I can blank off the fluid entry/exit holes easily enough but the problem is the stud that the ram arm attaches to. Is it possible to remove this (without cutting it off)? It makes it quite obvious what i've done :lol:

im sure it was one of my topics that went ski wift lol

chris adams

im sure it was one of my topics that went ski wift lol

its in the cars and parts wanted section under manual rack parts.

Edited by mi8 turbo

cammmy

Cool, I'll keep it in this thread though as it's a tech question rather than a wanted ad.

Anyone know if the stud can be removed without cutting it off?

chris adams
Cool, I'll keep it in this thread though as it's a tech question rather than a wanted ad.

Anyone know if the stud can be removed without cutting it off?

why not give it a twist with some maulgrips and see if it goes if not get a cutting disc on it

cammmy

May do that or might put two nuts on it and have a go that way.

chris adams

now thats an idea neva thought of doing it that way. less chance of slipping off. 100% B)

chris adams

now thats an idea neva thought of doing it that way. less chance of slipping off. 100% B)

hows it going with the removal of that stud?

cammmy

Haven't had much of a go but I think i'll need to cut it off and smooth it. Doesn't really look like it's threaded

rodionski

From what i've gathered over time - the PAS rack will not have much life if used without PAS - the rack and pinion were not designed to take the load without the PAS cylinder and they will quickly wear out.

Converting to non-PAS steering will cause a stupid increase in lock-to-lock ratio from 3.1 to a silly 4+ turns.

chris adams

could you not use the 205 quick rack internals on the non pas 405 rack ??????????????????????????? and if one desires to remove the load/pulley/belt then use the saxo electric pump on the 405 pas and move the load to the electrical circiuit this would save fabrication of the sub frame and other parts which is needed to fit the saxo pas setup. yes!

Edited by mi8 turbo

rodionski

That's a question noone has been able to properly address for a good while now. I've been looking at quaife quick racks for ages, not being sure that they'll be able to fit the 405 casing.

chris adams

what does the quick rack entail is it a complete new/different design or is it the same casting with uprated internals, can you buy the internals themselves or is it one complete unit off the shelf ?

rodionski

quaife will usually sell only the rack and pinion, to be assembled into the stock rack.

chris adams

at a price of ?

cammmy
From what i've gathered over time - the PAS rack will not have much life if used without PAS - the rack and pinion were not designed to take the load without the PAS cylinder and they will quickly wear out.

Crap. I really can't be bothered putting the PAS gear back on.

Can anyone see a reason why an MR2 'leccy PAS pump wouldn't work? MUCH easier to find one of those over here.

DRTDVL1345402287

I know a couple of the kiwi 2 guys have used them in their rally cars. Including that V6 Mirage i showed you ages ago that i was offered for a little more than the 205.

307 pumps are also getting common.

cammmy

^MR2 pumps?

DRTDVL1345402287

Yeah they are using MR2 pumps. I know some where talking about making a speed variable unit so it kicked in more for the really tight twisty stuff and was basically non-existent for the high speed stuff.

cammmy

Screw that. Will just grab an MR2 pump from PAP. Knew I should have grabbed the one I saw there once.

Sign in to follow this