• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
calvinhorse

[engine_work] Supercharged Xu10j4 Project

calvinhorse

so far just a few pics of the shell

Image0299.jpg

Image0298.jpg

Image0300.jpg

and charger mount in progress

Image0141.jpg

Image0139.jpg

Image0138.jpg

Edited by pony
  • Like 1

AlexN

Looks like a very tidy shell, what are you going to be using it for, road or track?

Looks like a pretty meaty supercharger, what is you engine spec?

This should be an interesting project!

cammmy

Twin screw? Where abouts are you mounting it?

Edited by cammmy

calvinhorse

Cheers chaps, its going to be a weekend toy with road and track in mind.

Its the eaton m45 charger (cooper s) its being mounted on the sump replacing the aircon pump, the engine is standard rebuilt 2.0 s16.

My brother allanallen uses a similar setup on a 1.9 mi16 with standard compression and makes 252bhp with 190lb and so far has been very reliable after plenty of thrashing!

cammmy

I'm keen to see how this turn out mate.

My idea is to get a Rotrex that pushes say, 10psi @ 3,500rpm but put a wastegate before the throttle body so that as the revs climb and the charger produces more boost, the excess get's released. I get a steady 10psi through the range I'll be using along with Rotrex efficiency (although I guess i'm wasting energy by dumping the excess boost) and less heat dumped into the charge.

Whether that would actually work I have no idea (probably not :P ) but I thought it was an interesting enough idea to investigate further. If this produces 250 on stock internals though (and the charger is easier to get), I would definitely look at this.

welshpug

the Rotrex aspect is already sorted for the XU10's, look at the Lynx supercharger kits, it'll all bolt onto the Mi16 iron block.

if it was an alloy engine you would need to make the mounting bracket yourself, but the same inlet would be used, a 2.0 can have its Bosch ecu mapped, but the 1.9 with its AFM would need aftermarker management to get the best out of it.

on the stock RS cams and exhaust manifold, over 250bhp is attainable on standard compression at 6 or so psi peak.

Baz

Sweeet! Looking good Cal! :D

Where on earth did you manage to find that wing?!!

calvinhorse

:D the spoiler came from ebay, its carbon fibre and weighs nothing!

it came from a carbonfibre manufacturing company who went bust..

I think it really suits the car it looks like its made for it!

MiCRO

Very nice project!

What was the price for supercharger? It looks new?

calvinhorse

This might make you feel a bit sick but the supercharger is almost new (delivery miles, about 50) and cost £100.. They have gone up alot now people have realised their potential

Jer309GTi

Love it! :)

mort

is there any movement on this project?

I'm curious about the place which will be placed supercharger. ;)

chris adams

is there any more updates on this thread?

calvinhorse

t

Edited by pony

calvinhorse

well to be honest my other "quick" project has taken centre stage so the 405 is lagging behind but after a few trackdays this year and lots of incuragement from the new boss im very eager to get the 405 done for next summer (no earlier as i just dont have the time or money!)

i have collected a few parts

bridgecraft engineering 306 strut top mounts, they raise the top of the shock to gain extra travel when running very low, also camber adjustable and ill be able to run as much caster as needed. obviously not a direct fit on the 405 but plenty of room for them, not too fussy if they clear the bonnet i'll cross that bridge when i get to it.

Image0907.jpg

Image0908.jpg

Image0909.jpg

also a block from an ex forum member richieb, re honed, deck face cleaned and painted in a lovely shade of black thanks richie!

Image0911.jpg

Image0912.jpg

doors cut out including side impact protection these plus my plastics for performace windows have saved a massive amount of weight, altho windows only saved about 2kg, every little helps!!

Image0920.jpg

home made 2.5mm carbon grill badge! just needs a lion sticker to finish!

Image0921.jpg

and in my opinion the best arse in the world!!

Image0922.jpg

and the reson its on hold!!Image0910.jpg

chris adams

is it not possibeto fit those top mounts from the underside of the turrets or is that not viable ?

chris adams

anymore pics for the supercharger side of the job ?

calvinhorse

the mounts do go underneath, they are just sat on for photos

the supercharger side of things is still the same as it was! like i say im very busy with the 309!

watch this space!

cammmy

Is that block from a 306?

calvinhorse

it is yes

chris adams

just out of curiosity if anyone was to twin charge their motor which would you run first would you compress the air into the turbo or would you have the turbo compress the air to the charger. i come to the conclusion that you would have the turbo feed the supercharger as the charger would bring the turbo on quicker and once the supercharger had reached its full potential then the turbo would compress the flow into the charger. am i correct in my thinking ?

rodionski

that does not work like this.

what you will need is two inlet tracts on the intake and a servo to switch between them. that's what was done on the 1.4 VW engine by the way

otherwise you will lose power on low revs due to the need for the supercharger to pump air through the turbo to get to the engine, and on high revs you will lose even more power since the turbo will need to suck air through the supercharger which will never be able to put as much air through as the turbo can at high revs.