• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
John

Gti-6 Into 405.

John

Hello everyone.

I just bought a GTI-6 engine. Im still lacking the inlet manifold, injectors and a ECU. Otherwise its complete. Got the engine loom :-) . Im planning to use a Mi16 tranny though, as its going to be a bust fitting a 6 in there.

As theres not so many that have done this conversion Id like to hear from those who few who have done it. Seems like the only problem I'm going to have to deal with is the exhaust manifold. Some says its a fit, some says you got to bend it to avoid the roll bar etc... So anyone really knows the correct answer?

Sloppy

i have done this, i used for now the mi16 loom and ecu for ease of fitting, i used what i believe to be a 2.0 136 bhp 406 exhaust manifold which was a perfect fit to the mi16 downpipe!

taken foe its madien trip today and it excellent much better then the mi16 engine even with the mi16 loom and ecu!

rodionski
i have done this, i used for now the mi16 loom and ecu for ease of fitting, i used what i believe to be a 2.0 136 bhp 406 exhaust manifold which was a perfect fit to the mi16 downpipe!

taken foe its madien trip today and it excellent much better then the mi16 engine even with the mi16 loom and ecu!

Reeeally? How is it that much better? It weighs more, and the 7bhp gain is not that relevant, especially given the old mi16 loom and mapping.

Maybe what you imply is a bit better torque curve than that of a 1.9 Mi16, then I would agree. But for track use - that's not a big advantage, and given the fact that even with the lighter 1.9 the weight distribution is a bit too much shifted to the front - the heavier iron block surely impairs the handling!

welshpug

much more torque and a revvier engine, far more advanced and complex engine management, an exhaust and inlet manifold that are works of art.

iron block does not impair the handling, it weighs no more than the 2.0 MI16 (same block and crank) its only 17 kilos in total IIRC.

rodionski

Right, but don't you say that the mi16 exhaust manifold is not! ;)

I know the handling of my 1.9 mi16 and it's not that great (and that on group N mounts, coilovers etc. etc.) due to front overweight. For that reason I am dumping the ABS and moving the battery to the trunk.

So please don't tell me that another chunk of heavy metal does not adversely affect handling ;)

And yes, I think that the 2.0mi16 was not a true mi16 - more of a conventional piece of junk)))))

welshpug

errr, ok..........

I found the chassis to be fantastic tbh, second to the 309 in balance but much stiffer shell wise.

rodionski

Well, both myself and professional rally drivers found the back of the car a bit too light.

rodionski
errr, ok..........

I found the chassis to be fantastic tbh, second to the 309 in balance but much stiffer shell wise.

Where would you put the 205GTI then?

1. 309

2. 405

3. 205

?

That would be the first time ever to hear that the 205GTI is rated not #1.

petert1345402284
For that reason I am dumping the ABS and moving the battery to the trunk.

Don't forget it has to be forward of the rear wheels. Not much point otherwise!

rodionski
For that reason I am dumping the ABS and moving the battery to the trunk.

Don't forget it has to be forward of the rear wheels. Not much point otherwise!

Yes sir, I am aware of that! I must NOT be like the spare tire - hanging outside the wheelbase. :-)

BTW even though the gearbox is not within the wheelbase and engine is also not within the wheelbase, still the way it is tilted towards the wheelbase is a plus handling wise.

cammmy
an exhaust and inlet manifold that are works of art.

Have you seen the standard Mi exhaust mani? Surely you don't consider that mundane?

welshpug

have you seen the gti16 and gti6 ones? :lol:

cammmy

No... :P

Just saying that even if they are equal length, octopus, nightmarish beasts. I still wouldn't consider the Mi one basic.

rodionski

Definitely far far from basic, and definitely a lot more effort made to make them then the others. And though never got any proof, i would tend to believe that notwithstanding not being equal lengths, it works just as well due to 8 ports to 2 design.

Sign in to follow this