• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JamesLeMans831345402285

Engine/electrics Cut Out When Car Is Jolted/door Slammed Etc

JamesLeMans831345402285

Evening all, its been a while but im back with nother problem :P

My Poor lemans has been sitting up for nearly a year after what i thought was an immobiliser problem and seizing brakes and an 80 mile a day commute made me loose patience... but, given i was off this week and circumstances could possible justify taxing her again it was time she deserved some attention.... with some minor progress!

I've traced to the "immobiliser issue" as more of an electrical gremlin... if the car is jolted in anyway like by slamming the door/bonnet/boot the entire electrics cut out and reset, hence the immobiliser going nuts and resetting itself and me not twigging to start the locking/unlocking sequence on the drivers door you have to do to resync the ECU and keypad (if you've heard of this method and thought it bollards, then believe me so did i but it works!).

To be fair i'm not too hot with electrics but i guess this is down to some dodgy earth point or connection.. I've wiggled the battery round and it does not cut out so connections are solid there.

I've also noted that by unplugging the keypad while the engine is runnign gives an apparently similar effect (i had head this was supposed to remove the need for code entry every start).

Just looking for pointers really on where to look for earth points and obviously connection which i should check (I've checked ECU).

Anything's worth a try at this stage :)

Also interested in any recomendations for 'pug enthusiast' mechanics/servicing in the northwest (Merseyside/Cheshire).

Cheers,

James

Sign in to follow this