• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Sloppy

[engine_work] Gti6 Engine Bringing My Mi16 Back To Life

Sloppy

well here she is after sitting for 3 years in my barn ive brought her out into serivce again.

Was disapointingly slow with origional engine so that got sold when it came off the road tears ago.

The the other day i thought how often do you see an mi16, to be honest ive rarely seen them in my entire life so thought it would be nice to do something with it.

Would have liked a 4x4 one but ther so old now there all turds and i have the sierra 4x4 lurking anyway

big issues were gonna be the manifold and wiring, hopefully ive sorted all witing issues or have the knowladge to do so but after fitting the stupid box dont fit!!!

see pics

Image002.jpg

looks bad but under the crap its actually ok, if i fall in love with it when it going if i ever finish it then i might get the paint work made a little better.

Image003.jpg

gti6 engine in, well almost

Imagec.jpg

exhaust on arb, will need heating a little but a better fit than i was expecting!

Imagera.jpg

box is so long (gti6 one) it actually come sos far though it cant fit back past ARB bar, so its a no go hence me looking for a std 5 speed box, also its not even bolted up in the pic to get it high enough or to where it should be i need to trim the chassis leg, so its a no go!

Will let you know how i get on, its no fast project just plodding on when i get time!

Edited by Sloppy

Jer309GTi

Nice work, keep us posted :)

KRISKARRERA

Interesting project, just needs a darn good clean up :lol:

rodionski

Would I be experiencing the same problems fitting a 6-speed gearbox into my 405 with a D6C engine?

How do the 205GTI guys go about fitting such gearboxes in?

Surely that's a huge problem if the chassis leg must be cut in order to fit the gearbox........

Miles

Fit's straight in a 205 or 309, Never tried a 405 but I'm sure someone has done or at least said they have.

rodionski

Is the car in the pics above a Ph1 or a Ph2? As apparently they have different mounts for the gearbox, battery etc.

THanks.

rodionski

Judging from the limited view of the battery mount, it would appear that it's the Ph2 car where the battery sits closer to the headlight and the gearbox appears to sit closer to the ARB and, apparently, higher?

Just trying to justify the purchase of two 6-speed boxes intended for my Ph1 405 Mi16 :-)

rodionski

Yesterday I took a look at the gearbox on my car and it does sit way too close to the chassis as well as to the ARB. Reeeally not sure now that it can fit without mods....

Sloppy

Just an update on this,

I got lazy and used the mi16 loom for now, quite neatly using the mi16 coils etc injectors and so on.

Also got a 5 speed xsi box and dropped the engine and box back in.

Fits very nicely now however i gave up on the gti6 manifold as its a bitch to bend even when heated up loads!

To make it fit you really need to cut and bend then re-weld which is a nightmare! so in a moment of madness i thought the s16 was the same as the mi16 (mk2) manifold and reshaped the inlets (took fooking ages to meet them to the gti6 head) and refitted the engine, as its a s16 manifold the exhaust outlet is a mile off, thought this would make it easyer!!!! so thats shat on that one!

Anyway got the engine in and wired up (using mi16 loom and ecu) and started on the key and runs ok (was loud as no exhaust) but has to be a good thing as its all been stood 3 years!!!

mi16 loom temp thig till i get it mot'd etc and decide if im keeping it then will go for gti6 one as i have a few spare gti looms and an unlocked ecu.

so just need a proper mi16 cast minifold no not a s16 one, i dont know why i thought they were the same???? :lol:

would get some pics but it really looks just the same as i will take engine out again for the manifold!

Sloppy

Right time for an update, been working on it a little bit more recently as i have had time again, main issue as before was the manifold, after ages tracking down something that would fit i eneded up with some thing which i believe is from a 406 2.0, to ports are a decent fit i.e same as gti 6 and the angle for the cat seems perfect also, matched it up and it seems extremely cose so if modding required will be minor.

pic here but is crap to see

Image092.jpg

Had it running more too, seems ok, so neatened a few things up, and started making water hoses, some from bulkhead

Image091.jpg

and fitted the rad up, you can just get away with the std lower mi16 hose and the one from the oil ooler, strangely although it looks tights there is more room with tis engine down there than with the std s16 lump!

Image090.jpg

Image093.jpg

coming together now a bit more, sorted out some fuel hoses and pas hoses, just needs shafts back in and some oil in box. Any idea if 306 shafts will work in this, i konw they will fit but not sure if it will confuse the abs as the 405 shafts have loads of nicks and the 306 ones have half as many?

one way to fid out i suppose, the 405 ones were fairly shot and i have loads of 306 ones which are decent from cars i broke.

hope to have it driving around by end of month!

will keep you all posted should be one the road before winter!

welshpug

you will need shafts with the right number of teeth on the abs ring, or the abs will think that the front is going slower than the back.

Sloppy

Well its driving around now, was idling a bit crap but a hammer and some wd40 in the s16icv seem to have helped that alot. I was told the engine was a 'good' one and it does seem to run very nicely.

The manifold i have stumbled across seems literally perfect so thats save alot of messing around and im very happy with that.

Just need to make up high pressure steering hose and sort out a leaking box seal, other than that all seems ok + a few sensors/gauges seem wierd.

All water hoses fully fitted and filled up with no leaks, thy fit neatly too which is good makes it look more oem, actually less than the mi16 so its made it neater anyway!

will have to look at mot isues next rear calipers seem a bit sticky etc and handbrake is crap, will get more pics soon.

Sloppy

fitted rest of exhaust (all original the manifold i found literally fits perfect! ) and the engine sounds sweet, was worried i would lose the gti6 sound going for the cast manifold but it really sounds damb good very happy at the moment!

has a tickover issue cured by the vacume pipe falling off the ecu!

now is perfect ticks over spot on.

sorted rear calipers just freed them off and they now seem ok which saves alot of hassel!

Been driving it around the fields today and its very amusing, just need to finish proper shafts then onto mot work and good clean possibly bit of spray work! :D

will get more pics soon!

Edited by Sloppy

welshpug

you are running Mi16 injectors right?

Sloppy

Yes running mi16 injectors, as far as im aware gti6 ones literslly dont work with the mi16 ecu as there a different resistance, however 205 1.9 gti ones and 2.0 turbo ones do and both offer better flow.

so running full mi16 loom, injectors coils etc on gti6 lump, driving it again last night sounds awesome much better than the mi16 ever did and thats with std exhaust.

Sloppy

UPDATE!

just waiting for a new screen to be fitted and it mot time,

got some xsi wheels, sortyed an air filter made a gti6 battery tray/box fit, made custom gti6/mi16 shafts so abs works etc and taken it for its first trip!

it drives so much nicer than my sierra xr4x4 its unbelieveable much faster too and still better round corners as sierras are s*it!

really went well bogs down a tad mid range so gonna change fuel filter, but still much faster than the mi16 engine even running a mi16 loom and ecu on the gti engien, really sound awesome too! (could be loom issues but i do suspect fuel filter! will go gti6 loom and ecu this winter )

very excited, given it a clean new head lights (mayeb new fogs and indicators depending on price) AND looks much fresher (will get pics asap! ) and hopefully in use next month!

yea the mi16 lives!

nealy lost interest last month but 1 solid week end has brought it to life!

John

What radiator are you using and how did you plumb this down?

cammmy

How did you get this all to work on the Mi ECU? doesn't the XU10J4RS use a MAP sensor rather than a MAF sensor.

The good news is though, when you do get the proper ECU in there is should go even better

John
How did you get this all to work on the Mi ECU? doesn't the XU10J4RS use a MAP sensor rather than a MAF sensor.

The good news is though, when you do get the proper ECU in there is should go even better

PH2 Mi16, XU10J4, uses a Bosch ECU with a MAP.

cammmy

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Should still go even better with a proper GTi6 ECU I imagine?

welshpug

indeed.

John

Magnetti Marelli 1AP.10 is a much more advanced ECU than all of the Mi16 ones at least :)

John

Sloppy: What part of the exhaust is touching the arb?

Do you think this could be fixed by reangling the engine by chopping or lengthening the lower engine mount fork? Doing the same thing to my 405 now, but havent gotten around to test fit it yet.