• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
cammmy

What Tyres?

cammmy

Hey Guys

It's time to think about new tyres as I'm running 3mm up front and 4mm in the back.

I'm looking for something very sporty, I don't care about noise or ride (I much prefer the feel of a sporty setup anyway). In saying that though I do not want them to wear out after a couple trips to the twisties and I also can't spend $600 per tyre.

I am looking at Potenza RE001's. My friend just got some any says they are very good however, I have read complaints about the sidewalls being too soft and and that it has an effect. Has anyone got experience with these? Are there any tyres in a similar price bracket but maybe a bit firmer? Or should I just stop worrying about that and settle for the fact they probably have more grip than I have skill :P

Cheers

Jer309GTi

I've got Toyo T1r's on my 2wd Mi and first impressions are very good. Not done any track days with them yet but seem very grippy on the road, not had any scary moments as the car feels nicely predictable with them, and they seemed fine going up Prescott hillclimb a few times at Pugfest.

Have only done about 500 miles with them so can't comment on wear, just hope they last longer than the Goodyear F1s I had on the front of my 309GTi, they were bald after 6,000 miles of road driving!

cammmy

Awesome. Been told the T1r's are good by the NZ pug crowd too so will look into 'em

welshpug

I HATE Toyo tyres :lol: found them rather poor in the wet, wear out quickly when warmed up and not very predictable on teh edge.

what do you get out there and what's the pricing like? I have no idea if you get any different tyres than we do in the UK, I've noticed the Yanks and mainland Europe do tend to have quite different tyre ranges

My personal choices if money was no object would be some Michelin Pilot Exalto 2's, BFG are owned by Michelin and do some decent tyres for less but obviously wont last quite as long.

AVON I have found to perform and last well though are a lot noisier than Michelins, Falken is a good name at the cheaper end, their tyres are well respected by EVO drivers and worked very well on my 205.

Yokohama Parada I'd steer well clear of, they are worse than the Toyo's.

swordfish210
I HATE Toyo tyres :lol: found them rather poor in the wet, wear out quickly when warmed up and not very predictable on teh edge.

Join the club, i have T1-R's on my 205 and they're less than good. I have Falken ZE-912's on my 405 and they're pretty good, not much of a sport tyre but more of an allrounder.

cammmy

Interesting. I'll have to see what's available, although I need it back from the mechanic first.

Cheers

mikeymi16

i have had a few sets of uniroyal rainsports on a few of my cars in the past and although they do wear fairly quickly i found that they offer a superb level of grip and if you get them warm they are very very good in the wet and the dry i also didnt find them too much noisyer than other brands of tyres but i am runnung a 40 profile so dont know if that will make much difference to the noise

Sign in to follow this